Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: aspengal

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

A partial list: Best of Kenya+Tanzania Safari(OAT), Peru(OAT), Canada(GCT), Thailand+Cambodia+Laos(OAT), Morocco(OAT), Egypt+Jordan(GCT), Australia(OAT), China(GCT), Ireland(GCT), Turkey, Tuscany+Amalfi Coast(GCT), Prague, Greece(sailing), the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Mexico (20+ visits), Martinique, Turks & Caicos, Bahamas, Jamaica (5 visits), Grenada + the Grenadines (w/Windjammer cruise), plus travel within the U.S.

Traveler Since: 1999

September 05, 2011

A gal friend & I will be on the  "Ireland in Depth" tour, as well as the pre-tip extension in Northern Ireland, leaving on October 5th, 2011 (travelers NOT doing the pre-trip would depart on Oct. 10th).  Anyone else ready to dance a jig, down a pint of Guiness, or experience the '40 shades of green' on the Emerald Isle on those same dates?

I'm particularly fascinated by Irish music ('Celtic Woman'!, 'Celtic Thunder'!, Enya!); Irish dance ('Lord of the Dance'!, 'Riverdance'!), the Celtic language (Slainte!), and of course experiencing that infamous Irish hospitality in the local pubs (live music, Guinness!, Jameson!).  I'm ready to start packing one of my Aran sweaters, my raincoat, a fleece jacket, a couple of 4GB memory cards + my camera, and some Euros (and British Pounds!) to stimulate the Irish economy.

Linda & I would love to hear from any travelers who will be joining us on those dates.  I can be contacted directly at: aspengal@hotmail.com.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

September 06, 2011

Hi Aspengal,

I wish I were going on your dates, I'd love to listen to music and explore with you and your friend. However, I'm leaving the end of this month and will leave Dublin Oct 14.

I was hoping that my rainjacket and either a sweater or fleece jacket would suffice. Maybe it will, since I'm going earlier. I'm trying not to pack too much since I know, despite the currency exchange, I'll do some shopping.

I got my packet yesterday; the hotel in Galway has been changed to the Ardilaun, the rest are the same as listed on the web site.

Happy travels

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

September 06, 2011

Luisa,

There's a line of woven scarves by a company named Avoca.  We were taken to the mill to see a demonstration and then given time in the shop.  They're mostly multi-colored, and you see them all over the place.  Most of us, including me, bought at least one.  And one of our group loved hers so much she wore it every single day for the rest of the trip.

There's also a marble business.  I think the quarry is in Northern Ireland, but we were taken to the outlet quite early in the trip.  We were given a talk and shown samples of different colors of marble before we went into the shop.  I collect small boxes, and I had a hard time choosing which little pill box I wanted.

Waterford had not been included for some time, but just before we went it was returned to the itinerary.  I purchased two very small pieces, a harp and a seahorse.  The harp is the symbol of Ireland, and the seahorse is Waterford's symbol.  And they were on sale!

I'm allergic to wool, so I couldn't get an Aran sweater which I really would have liked.

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

September 09, 2011

Thanks for the shopping tips. The scarves sound nice and that would be something I'd use. I would like to find a nice silver pendant in a Celtic design (not Claddagh), do you recall any craft/jewelry shops?

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

September 09, 2011

Luisa, I wasn't looking for jewelry since another thing I'm allergic to is silver.  But I did notice  some in the gift shop at the National Museum in Dublin.  And probably the other gift shops have nice assortments.

Countries Visited:

September 22, 2011

Pauline, Thanks for the idea of gift shops in museums, I checked out a couple on line and it looks like they have some interesting designs.

You mentioned the Aran sweaters -- does the group have an opportunity to buy or would that be on our own? I have an Irish sweater that I bought years ago on my first trip, but would like to find one for my son.

It's getting close for me but still haven't heard from our P.D. Did you hear from yours  before your trip?

Countries Visited:

September 22, 2011

It seems to me that those sweaters were everywhere.  And you'll have plenty of time to shop.  I really wish I could have bought one, especially considering our New England winters.  But I just can't take the chance of an allergic reaction.

Our PD said he had e-mailed all of us.  And most everyone else said they had received it.  But I had recently changed my address and, although GCT had the new one, I guess he had the old one.   It is a fairly new procedure.

Author: aspengal

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

A partial list: Best of Kenya+Tanzania Safari(OAT), Peru(OAT), Canada(GCT), Thailand+Cambodia+Laos(OAT), Morocco(OAT), Egypt+Jordan(GCT), Australia(OAT), China(GCT), Ireland(GCT), Turkey, Tuscany+Amalfi Coast(GCT), Prague, Greece(sailing), the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Mexico (20+ visits), Martinique, Turks & Caicos, Bahamas, Jamaica (5 visits), Grenada + the Grenadines (w/Windjammer cruise), plus travel within the U.S.

September 26, 2011

hmmm, still no e-mail greeting from OUR Program Director, and we leave in 8 days, 13 hours.  I've had the same e-mail address for over 10 years, so no excuse there.

I already own 4 Aran Craft merino wool sweaters, bought on St. Patrick's Day over the years from Q*C, the TV shopping channel.  (They bring in Irish vendors that day, sellling all Irish products including sweaters, Waterford crystal, Belleek pottery, Connemara marble items, etc.) I definitely plan on bringing one of them along - there's a good reason why the Irish have such beautiful, WARM woolen sweaters, & it's their weather!  (grin)

Countries Visited:

September 27, 2011

Aspengal,

I've also had the same e-mail address for several years and usually have heard from the PD a couple of weeks before the trip.

I'm leaving today and got an e-mail from our PD yesterday, so you may have seven days to go --

Yay, I'll be in Ireland tomorrow.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.