Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: par4

September 03, 2011

My husband and I will be taking the Australia/New Zealand/Fuji tour in October. 

Luggage is very limited and even though I've checked the weather I'm still not sure of what to take.  I don't mind doing some laundry but don't want to waste a lot of time with that.

Even though New Zealand might be cool I am hoping a long sleeved shirt, sweatshsirt and windbreaker will suffice.

Also, are slacks needed other than New Zealand and will capris and shorts be ok?

My husband is also planning to dive The Great Barrier Reef and I'm planning on snorkeling, has anyone done that on a trip and any suggestions as to companies to use?

Thanks

Author: jdwheel1

Countries Visited:

over 70 countries on every continent (including Antarctica) and counting

Traveler Since: 2009

September 04, 2011

@par4 - on your great barrier reef question.  Several years ago my wife snorkled and I dove the reef on an independent vacation.  It was fantastic and not to be missed if you have the physical energy for it (you are after all at sea and wearing gear you are not accostomed to).  I can't remember the company we used to take us from Carnes to the "floating city" , but it was the "big one".  They are well set up for snorklers... you just "walk" off of the facility and follow the leader.  For diving they take you by boat like on most all other dive operations around the world.

One point of caution - check your itinerary carefully.  It is UNSAFE to fly within 24 hours of diving (you can get the "bends" in the airplane).  Flying within 24 hours of SNORKLING is OK.

You will enjoy ANZ.... The folks are so freindly and laid back  We have toured Australia on on own several times and did the OAT NZ tour (which we enjoyed immensely).

Have fun!

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

September 04, 2011

I took that trip in April a couple of years ago. I didn't see people wearing shorts anywhere, even in Fiji, but did see capris, probably in Cairns and in Fiji, which were the warmest on the main trip. Some women on our trip who'd taken the Outback extension wore capris a few times.

Other than those two sites, I don't think October would be warm enough for shorts (60s-70s?) and I wouldn't wear them in Sydney any time unless you're going to the beach. It was cool and rainy in S. when we were there.

You'll be fine layering in NZ with the clothes that you plan. The checked limit is 50 lbs, which wasn't difficult for me. The carryon limit is 15 lbs and Qantas does spot check and weigh the bags. The handbook advises against wheeled carryons but my 19-inch was fine; it  always fit in the overheads and there was enough space in the luggage storage on the buses, it wasn't any larger than some of the non-wheeled carryons.

Be careful of the food limitations, Australia and NZ customs take it seriously. If you're bringing in any food, tell them and they may or may not let you keep it.

You're in for a wonderful trip. I'd go back in a heartbeat if it wasn't so far away.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

September 04, 2011

I've always traveled to Australia and New Zealand independently with a friend.  The first time we went was in October and Queenstown was very cool.  Don't forget  -  you're quite far south and in mountain country.

Everywhere you'll go, the best plan is to dress in layers with your outer jacket water repellent.  I never bring a real sweatshirt because they are so bulky to pack.  But I have two tops that could be called long-sleeved tees or thin sweatshirts, and I wear them over a short-sleeved tee.

I only wore shorts when I was in New Zealand and touring the bays on mail boats.  It's a fun thing to do when you're on your own with plenty of time.  We used to go for two months in our winter/their summer.

It was also in October that we went to the Outback, and that can be very hot during the day and cool at night. 

If you take the tour from Cairns to the Reef, snorkeling and scuba should be arranged for you.

Author: crashcarter

Trips Taken: 0

September 11, 2011

I have family in Brisbane and so have travelled there independently.  Queensland can be VERY, VERY hot in the Fall, so layers is the way to go.

I have also dived on the Great Barrier Reef ~ an amazing adventure!  If you are going to be at a resort, they will most likely have their own Dive Master, and all the gear you may need ~ travelling with your own gear can be cumbersome, to say the least.

We were on Heron Island and had a wonderful dive expererience.

Have a wonderful time!

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.