Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: gmechoc

Traveler Since: 2011

August 22, 2011

We will arrive in Vienna about 1:30p.m on the first day of our trip.  Does anyone know what time we need to leave to get to our ship?  Is it possible to see the Schonbrun Palace before we meet the ship? 

Author: dgevry

Traveler Since: 2010

August 22, 2011

I assume you mean you will be arriving at the airport at 1:30 P. If you booked your flight with Grand Circle, someone will meet you at the airport. Depending on how many other travelers are arriving at about this time, the promptness of the flights & collection of luggage, you may arrive at the ship by 3:00P give or take a little. When we did this trip in 2009, Grand Circle provided a free shuttle to downtown during the afternoon - the 1st left at 2:30 & the last left Vienna @ 5:30. If people wanted to stay in Vienna longer, they could take a taxi back to the ship, as it didn't start cruising until after midnight. From the shuttle dropoff point you could take the subway to Schonbrunn - its the Schonbrunn stop on the green line, about a 20 minute ride. You could see the gardens and the outside of the palace. I don't know if you would have time to see the interior-depends on the length of the lines. All in all, it would be a rush.  My suggestion is to take the shuttle to downtown and walk around.  The city center is compact and has many beautiful buildings, churches, monuments & parks - ie St Stephen's cathedral, the Hofburg Palace complex, the State Opera House, Parliament, Burg Theater. Most of the churches are open during the afternoon and are stunning. You might also have a coffee & pastry at an outdoor cafe.  I think this might be more enjoyable after an overnight flight, than rushing out to Schonbrunn & being disappointed if you didn't have time to take the tour. Whatever you do, have a a good time. The Great Rivers of Europe is a fantastic tour. We loved it and would like to do it again.

August 23, 2011

Thank you so  much for all that great info.  It is so much appreciated.  That is exactly what we wanted to know.

August 23, 2011

Happy to assist. We did Schonbrunn on the pre-trip. It's nice, but with limited time I would stay in the city center. When you arrive @ the ship, go to the Program Directors' desk in the lobby. They handed out maps of the city center and made suggestions of what people could see in an afternoon. We already had a map as we had been on the pretrip, but we went back after lunch because we enjoyed walking around the city.  It is very clean and safe.  If you walk along the Ringstasse (the circular boulevard) you will see many of the noted sites. Have fun!

August 23, 2011

Thank you..is there a iron in the room or a steamer for your wrinkled clothes?

August 24, 2011

The cabins do not have irons or steamers. I always bring my travel iron because I hate wrinkles. My husband always laughs at me & says it's the first thing we're leaving homeif the suitcase are overweight. I've used it on a few items, especially the occasional shirt I've rinsed out in the sink.  I tend to hang up our things right away and many of the wrinkles do hang out-I bring xtra plastic hangers, as there are never enough. I don't think the ship has an iron for passengers. I think most people just deal with the wrinkles. Dress is casual day and night.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.