Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: gmechoc

Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2011

August 12, 2011

We are taking the Great Rivers of Europe tour in early September.  What is appropriate shoe wear?  I have white tennis shoes..would that be ok to wear on tours etc?   

Author: jayge

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2004

August 12, 2011

We have been on 7 river trips with Grand Circle and my husband and I both wear running/walking type shoes.  I guess that is what you mean by "sneakers"?  Also, I take along, to alternate, a pair of black SAS comfort walking shoes.  There are usually cobblestones in old parts of cities plus on some trips we walked to ancient "forts". 

Dress on the ships is usually very casual.  I do not remember seeing any men wearing jackets even for the Captain's dinner.  Nice slacks for women/men are the usual.

Have a wonderful time; it is a great trip!

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

August 12, 2011

I would also add that it's best to switch off on shoes.  I wear SAS, and I wear one pair on the plane and pack a second pair.  And since I stick to one color scheme, I trade off every other day.  It's important to remember about the cobblestones.  Rivers were the oldest form of transportation, and the towns/cities you will be visiting are old.

I also bring one pair of Mephisto sandals to wear on the ship just as a relief.

Author: captainlarry

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

August 12, 2011

Not to imply that there is anything inherently wrong with "white tennis shoes" or anything else, but to me comfort is much more important than appearance. You will see many different styles of shoes and other clothing on the cruise, both on the ship and on the shore excursions. I even got to a point where I was so foot-sore that I went on a shore excursion wearing sandals with white socks. It made me happier and didn't bother anyone else.

Ocean cruises are more informal these days than in the past, and river cruises are even more informal. Don't be concerned about anything you wear marking you as an American. If you come off the ship and are following the flag, you are an American and everyone knows it. And 99% of the Germans and Austrians are very happy to see you. They are typically pleased if you say "Guten Morgan" but if you say "Good Morning" they will know what you mean and answer pleasantly.

Above all if you have a question about anything, be it where to go, how much to pay, proper etiquette, etc., ask one of the Program Directors or the Hotel Manager. They will almost certainly have a good answer and will never intentionally lead you astray.

Author: shatzi

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2009

August 13, 2011

I have to agree with CaptainLarry.  Comfort is the first  priority and above all else, stability.  There are a lot of uneven surfaces on the trip.  Fashion is not a priority as much as comfort. 

I do not know your location, but  I know SAS shoes cannot be found in my area.  They seem like a good shoe.  I wear a stabilty running shoe and, so far, has kept me upright and pain free! I also bring a waterproof version of the running shoe.  You do not need soggy sneakers!  Nike puts out a stability shoe with Gortex.  It has kept me dry is some pretty rainy weather.

You will really enjoy this trip!  It is good that you are thinking ahead!

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

August 13, 2011

Some people who can't wear SAS for some reason find Easy Spirit a good choice.  You want shoes with good support and safe soles.  By that, I mean not a smooth sole that can slide on wet cobblestones.

August 14, 2011

Thank you everyone for your replies.  I am about to look into  SAS shoes, I have never heard of SAS but will definitely look into it.  From all that you have said, comfort first...that is what I needed to know...getting very excited for our trip...

Author: porkchop55

Countries Visited:

Great Britain, Israel, Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Tunisia, China, Peru, Canada, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Fiji, American Samoa, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea

Traveler Since: 2004

August 14, 2011

SAS makes very comfortable shoes.  I wear them on trips and for work every day.   They are also made in the USA.   Yes, let me repeat that SAS shoes are NOT made in China.  They are made in Texas, USA.    

Countries Visited:

August 14, 2011

Yes, indeed.  SAS stands for San Antonio Shoe.

August 15, 2011

That  makes it even better!!

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.