Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: uofmich77

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2005

August 08, 2011

We've traveled with GCT and OAT six times now and are still puzzled as to why the insurance is so much more expensive than other travel companies including at least one very pricey tour operator. Any ideas?

Author: jl.anderson

Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

OAT/GCT: China, Peru, Ecuador, Ukraine, Russia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda; 35+ more countries

Traveler Since: 2007

August 08, 2011

Yes, it is so they can make a much bigger profit.

You have lots of options when it comes to travel insurance.  Do some research on other companies.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

August 08, 2011

GCT uses TripMate.  I always buy the insurance when I pay the deposit so I won't have to think about it.  In 2007, my friend and I were ready to depart on the Russian river cruise when she was diagnosed with cancer.  We were able to get all of our money back except for the insurance charge and a small handling fee.  We had also paid a deposit for the Dubrovnik trip the following spring and got all that back, minus the insurance charge and a smaller handling fee.

When we traveled to Australia and New Zealand, we didn't take a tour and I had to buy insurance because Medicare is no good outside the US.  I used Travel Guard, which I never had to take advantage of.

I suggest you look at all the travel insurance companies and check what they cover and what they don't and do a comparison.

Author: hootie

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

August 08, 2011

I agree with the previous post. 

We always buy trip ins so I have checked other options and they have always been lower...and by more than just a few dollars.  Just make sure you know what you're buying.  There are other companys that will cover trip cancellation up to and including day of departure, pre-existing conditions, etc.  We have used GCT ins. for China and our upcoming Russia trip.  (We've traveled 7 times with GC)  Sometimes, I just get lazy and book a trip with everything under one company.  I shouldn't, because it's very pricey and I'm the one who loses.

With the prices on 2012 trips, I will be taking a closer look at savings.

Author: dondaro

Traveler Since: 1999

August 09, 2011

Try AAA. You can get travel insurance through them if you are a member. i'm mot sure what the price is but it's worth looking into.

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

January 16, 2012

I agree with Pauline.  Trip Insurance can help in certain situations.  That is why we choose to buy trip insurance, and there are several reasons why we choose to take GCT's. 

We used Access America the first time we took a trip, not with GCT the agent' used that company.  They had very good medical coverage and repatriation but cancellation only for medical emergency.  Medical coverage was only $10,000 (2003). I used them again which I purchased on our own for our first trip with GCT.  I just called Access America to see if I could buy it for just us two; their answer was yes.  Just wanted us to inform them of the exact cost of the trip after we finalized booking with GCT.  I then called them back and got the insurance.  It was cheaper, then. 

All subsequent trips (8) I used GCT's travel insurance, partly because I was too lazy to do the comparison, but also because by that time GCT had increased coverage for medical emergencies, medical evacuation to the US and repatriation.  The cancel for any reason is not offered by all companies.

Another reason I take insurance is this:  we were on the Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast trip, we had arrived in Rome, stayed overnight, then bussed to Sorrento.  The next morning one of our group had a heart attack and was taken to the hospital.  After a day of medical reviews they determined he had to be flown back to the US.  So a long wait occurred for GCT in the US to give the permission for this to happen.  The cardiologists in Italy insisted he be accompanied by a US medical doctor and a nurse for the flight back to the US. 

We other travelers continued on our daily tours and dinners, etc.  At the end of the week, the man was still in the hospital, but we all boarded a bus for Montecatini.  After another 8 days, we drove back to Rome for departure.  The man was still in the  hospital but was released to the hotel until they could get a doctor and nurse to accompany him on the flight.    All of this could have been a very costly endeavor had they not  had trip insurance.  Medical coverage since then has been increased to $50,000, and repatriation insurance is $500,000 now. 

A year or two ago, I  heard the on the news the cost for medical evacuation fron overseas was about the $500,000 figure, and locally about $100,000 in our area (Phoenix).   

Twice I used medical insurance from GCT for visits to the emergency room, once in Moscow, and once in Belgrade.  Both times I filed with GCT's insurance and was reimbursed almost entirely.  The Russian doctor wanted to keep me a few days and take tests, etc., but I convinced him I was well enough to travel and saw my doctor when I got back. 

We are in our 70's and anything could happen; but at any age, we are not prmised tomorrow.  Just one person's perspective why trip insurance is a good to have.  Check benefits of other companies--you'll probably come back and buy GCT's trip insurance.

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

January 17, 2012

www.insuremytrip.com lists several insurance companies that offer a wide variety of benefits. Many are "A" rated companies and there are comments by travelers who have used the web site for insurance. The difference between them and GCT/OAT is that GCT's is a one price for all (including age) based on the cost of the trip and the others are priced by country (for example, I'm sure that Mongolia would cost more than Ireland), the travelers age and their state of residence. It could be a considerable savings for travelers on the younger side traveling to Europe.

There are many options available, including canceling for any reason, medical evacuation, lost baggage, etc. Savings for a couple could be considerable, but full coverage for older people may cost about the same or perhaps more than GCT's Trip Mate.

I was also on a trip to Italy (not GCT) where a traveler fell and needed surgery. He was insured and was quickly evacuated to the U.S. It was a group trip but I don't remember what the insurance coverage was.

Sorry this got so long, but my point is it is worthwhile making comparisons before purchasing expensive insurance, especially when traveling to a developed country where medical care is readily available.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.