Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: fenter

Traveler Since: 2012

August 05, 2011

Traveling to Australia, New Zealand & Fiji in June 2012.....Anyone else signed up for that trip yet?  Looking forward to hearing from fellow travellers?   Sounds like a wonderful trip!!!!

Any advice from former travellers of this trip?  ????Packing tips, must sees, etc.

Author: nanaandpapa

Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

October 27, 2011

Layers, layers, layers!!! We took this trip in late June of 2010 and encountered tempertures ranging from subfreezing in Queenstown to high 90s and very humid in Fiji. Warm gloves and hats are a must for the South Island with good fleeces and widbreakers. We actually took a jet boat tour in Queensstown, with ice freezing on the dock. In addition to life jackets they supplied parkas. Nylon convertable pants are invaluable as they are very light, relatively water shedding and wind resistant, have high UV ratings, convert to shorts, rinse out and dry easily and have plenty of pockets. They served us under all conditions. A light wieght hiking type hooded raincoat is also a good idea, as, with a trip of this duration, you will probably get some rain. It can also double as a second windbreaker or provide another layer over your windbreaker.

June 21 is the start of the winter carnival and ski season in Queenstown. It can also get chilly in the outback at night. Despite being winter downunder, the sun can be very strong so a hat with sun protection is also a good idea.

The fifty pound limit on luggage was not a big problem after having done Ultimate Africa with a thirty pound limit including carryon. Wear or carry your heaviest shoes and jackets on the plane, Quantas was quite strict on weighing luggage, including carryons, so, read their regs and comply with them, distribute the weight between carry on and checked baggage.

Our program director was Maree, who was quite the taskmaster, keeping everything on schedule and supplying us with  a great deal of additional printed information. She is a native New Zealander living in Sydney, Australia. Her parents actually joined us for the Fiji part of the trip

Definitely consider doing both the pretrip and the posttrip. Both are well worth it. We would be glad to answer further questions either in this forum, via email or phone.

As you have not traveled with Grand Circle before, get a referal from a friend or relative and you'll save !00 per person. The person that refers you will also get a credit toward future travel

Jack and Ann Donoghue

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

November 01, 2011

Have your read the Traveler Reviews on this web site? There are several very detailed reviews that will answer many of your questions. Go to "Trips" "South Pacific" and click on "Aus .... NZ, Fiji.

Also there have been several posts about the trip under "Destinations" on the forum page. Click on Destinations, then South Pacific, etc.

It's a wonderful trip, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Author: rosemarynj

Traveler Since: 2010

November 01, 2011

We are on the June 3rd trip.  Is that the one you mean?  We are actually leaving on May 29th as taking the pre trip to the Outback. Any suggestions on which ones of the additional excursions that we should take would be welcome.    We did sign up for Milford Sound. Thanks

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

November 01, 2011

A friend and I traveled to Australia and New Zealand independently several times between 1998 and 2006.  We visited all of the places listed under optional tours in the itinerary.  In fact, we did some of them, including Milford Sound, more than once.  We used to take two months in our winter, which is their summer.  There isn't one of the places that I didn't enjoy and that I wouldn't want to go back to.

I note that Milford Sound will be an included tour for 2012, not an optional.  My only concern would be that sometimes the Homer Tunnel is closed because of the possibility of avalanches.  But they keep a very close eye on that.  So do go if it's open.  It's an experience you won't forget.

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

November 03, 2011

I took the Kuranda/Tjup... and enjoyed it very much. I think everyone in our group took that one. I did not take the jet boat ride in Queenstown but those who did loved it. I was too tired for the Sydney by Night. I think it was the day we arrived in Sydney) but again, those who took it, mostly people who'd taken the Outback extension, raved about it. The Harbor Cruise is nice.

Milford Sound was the best of all and now it's included. 

It's a great trip, you'll have wonderful adventure.

Author: psarchuleta

Countries Visited:

Lots of the U.S.

February 23, 2012

I am going on the June 2012 trip to Australia, New Zealand and Figi trip and would love to talk with and travelers who have taken or will be taking the trip in June. I have never traveled out of the U.S. before, but this was at the top of my bucket list. I'm very excited and anxious to get started and would love to get to know some of my fellow travelers before the trip begins. Any helpful hints would be much appreciated as well!! Can't wait to here from you, Pam

Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

February 23, 2012

Pam,

We took the trip in June of 2010, with both the outback pretrip and the Fiji posttrip. We would be glad to talk to you, by Email, phone, or video chat via Skype or Gmail video chat. How would you like to do it. Or we could do it on this forum. We would probably like some time to refresh our memories before talking.

Countries Visited:

March 01, 2012

Pam,

I have started posting a blog on this trip on travelpod.com. So far, it is complete through the outback pretrip. I expaect to complete it in the next week or so, at which time I will also post a traveler's review on this site. To link to the block, click here. As this is my first attempt at blogging, it may give you some problems. If it does, let me know here.

Countries Visited:

March 18, 2012

I have determined that TravelPod is not that effective for me. I have converted the blog to Google Blogger. The URL is jackthetravelingman.blogspot.com.

Jack

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.