Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: gailwolfe7

Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2011

July 29, 2011

Anyone going on this trip?  Would love to hear from you.

Author: margaretcanella

Countries Visited:

All over Italy (3 trips), Tanzania, Africa, France, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Greece, Istanbul, Turkey, Alaska & Hawaii

July 31, 2011

Seven of us are traveling on this trip from Louisiana!  My name is Margaret and my husband is Vic.  I am taking my 18 year old grandson, Devyn, with us and two other couples are joining us as well.  We are getting excited about it.  I have a son getting married on August 19th and next is our big trip!  Vic works for a Toyota dealership.  I am retired and work part time.  One of the other two couples is retired and the other couple still works.  We all love travel.  My Grandson picked this trip as his graduation gift from me.  Would love to hear from you.....

August 02, 2011

Hi Margaret!  So nice to hear from you!  What a wonderful graduation gift for your grandson.  He will cherish the memories for years to come.  My son and I took a trip to Europe the year he graduated from college.  Great memories for both of us. I am really looking forward to this trip.  Have been to Europe a few times, but never been on the Asian continent.  I will be traveling by myself, so am hoping there are a few other singles on the trip.  If not, I have traveled alone before and everyone is always so nice.  I am so looking forward to seeing China.  I have been retired for one year, but I do some volunteer work at a local hospital and babysit for grandchildren often, so it doesn't feel like I'm retired.

Author: dondaro

Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 1999

August 02, 2011

My wife and I took the China Cultural Capitals trip in June. I can't say anything negative about the trip. Michael our tour guide was the best we ever had and the local guides were great. The people were friendly and often invited us to be in their pictures. Some people had limited english but we were able to get by. ATM machines are handy and we had no trouble using them. In the markets you have to bargain for you have to bargain. the hotels were excellent and modern. Tooth brushes, combs, hair dryers, shampoos were available in the bathrooms. Only small problem was the matresses in the Xian hotel were as hard as a rock. The hotels had safes in each room.

August 03, 2011

I am so glad to know that hair dryers are available in hotels.  The info I received was noncommital on that and I prefer to not have to take mine along if I don't have to.  I was also happy to hear about the availability of ATMs and safes in the rooms.  Did you take a converter for electricity?  I have a battery charger for my camera that i will need to plug in.  Just wondering if you have any suggestions about what to buys in the way of a converter and adaptor.  Thanks for your help!

August 04, 2011

I use a camera with batteries. I find it easier then worrying about converters and recharging. Regarding money. we found that the street vendors will take dollars but you can also use Chinese currancy. Let me know if you have any more questions. Enjoy your trip

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

August 04, 2011

I went on the China Cultural Capitals trip in Fe., 2011, so recently. It was wonderful. We had Albert as our PD. I hope you get him. He is the best!!

Anyway, about converters/adapters. I have to charge my camera battery and potentially my Kindle, so I always take a converter and adapters. Needed it for my curling iron also. I do know that I had to use the converter, but I am thinking that all of the outlets had multiple types of sockets, so I can't remember if I needed my adapters or not. But they take up so little room in your luggage, that you should just take them, just in case!!!

Be sure to take luggage locks whether you use them on your luggage when traveling or not. (I always lock my checked luggage with TSA-approved locks anyway). We were required to have them on our checked luggage on the flights WITHIN China. Albert had some extras, for people who did not know that.

August 05, 2011

Dondaro and nancyf, thank you so much for your help.  Nothing like talking with someone who has had the experience! I usually use the TSA locks on my luggage, but had no idea that is would be needed inside China.  Did either of you have any problem with getting sick?  Just wondering how safe the water is and eating at street vendors. I  appreciate your comments.

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

August 05, 2011

Do not drink the water. They will give you bottled water and/or your PD will tell you where a grocery is close to the hotel to buy more. BE SURE THAT YOU USE THE BOTTLED WATER when brushing your teeth also. One of the people on our trip drank bottled water but just brushed her teeth with the tap water, and she got sick with diarrhea for 2 days. It could have been a coincidence or something else, but just be sure to use it for brushing and rinsing out your toothbrush.

We were told that it was NOT a good idea to eat any of the street food, so we didn't. The only thing that we ate was some kind of a fried bread from the big market that we went through. Since it was only bread and had just been fried (heated), we figured it was ok.

Have a great trip!! Ding how!!!  :)

August 05, 2011

Gailwolf . The hotel supplies you with 2 bottles of water every  day and the bus drivers sells water  2 bottles for a dollar. We didn't eat much from street vendors because lunch was included most of the time when we took the optionals and on some of the non optional trips. When dinner was not included we ate in restaurants.We did have some stomach problems but we don't know what it was from. We were very careful with the water. Maybe it was the food which we are not accustomed to. We were told only to eat cooked food from the street vendors.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.