Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: robsmom

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2011

July 26, 2011

GCT - Other companies offer purchase of transfer to and from airport. for those making own air arrangements. Why don't you?

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

July 27, 2011

Good question. If the flights get in at the same time and you'd be departing the same time as the group, why not charge a small fee for transfers? I can understand why they wouldn't if there was an arrival or departure time difference but not if it's the same time.

Road Scholar's (formerly Elderhostel) policy is based on "space available" and there is no charge.

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 1999

July 27, 2011

Has anyone contacted GCT with a request to do this?

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

July 27, 2011

I have a telephone appointment with someone from the air travel department on August 9th about my trip next June.  It's very early for that, of course, but I've been doing a little research and have discovered that BA (or its partner AA) flies from Boston direct to Heathrow several times a day.  But the new large GCT catalog that just came out for 2012 shows a price difference of $100 between flights from New York and flights from Boston.  They're all shown as add-ons.  From this, I have inferred that the GCT "standard" flight for England, Scotland and Wales will involve a change at JFK and, probably, Delta Airlines.

Since I had already figured that I'd have to make my own flight reservations if I wanted to travel in any comfort, I'd planned to ask about the transfer arrangements.  Even though I'm perfectly capable of getting myself to a hotel in London.

As soon as I hear anything, I'll post it here.

Author: robsmom

GCT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

July 27, 2011

GCT  said that "most likely" , if I am at airport at same time as group they would "probably" take us on bus. Don't like maybe. Delays may happen and if we were on the arriving list, GCT would be there to help.

Air fares seem to be a bit more $ than we could get on our own (transfer included). But if I can get a nonstop on my own, I would gladly pay a bit extra to GCT

Author: hootie

GCT Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

July 28, 2011

transfers...

I spoke with an air agent today and asked about transfers while I had them on the line.  I was told that GCT just had a meeting (yesterday or today) in regards to transfers and it is DEFINITELY something they are considering.  No official word, yet, on when or if it will start. 

I hope they do...and soon!

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

July 28, 2011

I don't like "most likely" or "probably" when it's about international travel.  I want to know what is as definite as can be in this world.

I've checked transportation from Heathrow Airport into London, and there's a high-speed train called the Heathrow Express that takes about 15-20 minutes to Paddington Station.  That's certainly something to keep in mind for those, like me, who are planning a trip to the UK.  It seems to be a first class train.

Author: suepoor1234

GCT Trips Taken: 0
OAT Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

All the states except Hawaii; east and west Canada, all of Western Europe(except Iceland and Greenland); the Baltics and Scandanavia; Belarus, Poland, Ukraine; Russia; Turkey, Jordan and Israel; China, Mongolia, and Tibet; Egypt, Morocco, Tanzania; Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatamala, El Salvador; Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Peru, Argentina; Australia and New Zealand; Antarctica.

Traveler Since: 2007

July 28, 2011

The Heathrow Express is the BEST!  I have taken it several times when going in/coming from London.  It is efficient and comfortable.  A bonus is that when you are going back to Heathrow, you can check your bags before you get on the train and they are checked all the way through to your final destination.  Fabulous service. 

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

July 29, 2011

I took the Heathrow Express the week it opened in the late 90s. I flew from Cork to London and saw a sign "Fast Train" and followed to the platform. The train was great, plenty of space for luggage and the platform is level with the train so you just roll your luggage in. I remember a ramp to get to the train from the terminal, so no stairs involved. 

I wouldn't hesitate to book my own flights, take the H.E. and then a taxi to the hotel. Unfortunately, other destinations won't be as easy, so it would make our travel lives easier if GCT/OAT allows "land only" travelers to ride along with the group.

I would not rely on a "maybe" because I know people who made their own flight arrangements who were not allowed airport transfers with the groups.

Countries Visited:

July 29, 2011

My return flight will not be as easy.  As I understand it, at the end of the extension of the England, Scotland and Wales trip we fly back from Aberdeen.  If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.  I would prefer to have any stops within Europe and not have to get off somewhere in the US, get my luggage, go through customs and then get back on a flight to Boston.  I've done that, and I don't like it.

KLM flies from Aberdeen to Amsterdam to Boston, and Schipol is a good airport to change in.  But it seems like going backwards.

There are flights (several times a day) from Aberdeen to London, and I could just switch from the domestic terminal to the international one.

Have to see what my conversation with the flight department comes up with.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.