Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jayge

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2004

July 18, 2011

I cannot understand why Atlanta Hartsfield airport costs so much extra on trips, especially the 2012 trips.

Hartsfield, I am told, is the busiest airport in the world and is the home base for Delta airlines.

Surely, Grand Circle should be able to get better prices from Atlanta.

Some of the 2012 trips show about $1200 EXTRA plus another $200 in taxes.

We do not prefer making our own reservations and hope that Grand Circle can get better prices for next year.

Author: gobuckeyes

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

July 18, 2011

I don't know what OAT charges for (international) Delta flights to/from ATL; however, when an airline has the majority of all the flights (i.e. no competition) from a specific airport, their rates are usually higher.    

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

July 18, 2011

I was of two minds about posting this.  Those of you who have read my posts about my dislike of changing at JFK and my dislike of Delta Airlines may be interested that I feel more vindicated.  Saturday, a Delta plane hit a smaller plane on one of the runways at Logan airport when both were  taxiing towards take-off positions.  One passenger was slightly injured, and the FAA is investigating.

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7

July 18, 2011

The air add-on for MSP, which I use, is even more costly.  Delta is also the predominant carrier here since it absorbed Northwest.  The add-ons seem to be generally less if you avoid summer travel.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

July 19, 2011

I don't think it's GCT, it's Delta. I am making my own reservations for my September trip and going through Atlanta on Delta costs $400-$600 more than other airlines.

As for the 2012 prices, air is listed separately, not as add-on as on previous trips. I looked at Ireland for 2012 and the base price, no air, is $2495. Air fare from Atlanta is $1100 and from New York, $700, so $400 more from ATL., the same as the "add-on" for the air- included 2011 trip from New York or Boston. Credit for no-air 2011 is $700, inc. tax.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

July 19, 2011

Luisa, I will be very interested in how your arrangements work.  Mine were just about perfect.  Of course, flying from Boston I expect a direct flight to Europe even if I have changes there.

Next month, I have an appointment for a telephone conversation with someone from GCT's air travel department about my trip next June to England, Scotland and Wales.  It's so far ahead, I don't think anything they say now will be accurate for next year.  And when I go into BA's website, they aren't listing flights more than 355 days ahead.  But by then, I think there will be fewer days, and I can have done my own research.

One thing is definite, though.  No Delta flights!

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

July 20, 2011

I'm in the position that Ed described. I'm flying from Florida and some of the itineraries have me hopscotching around the country -- Chicago -- Cleveland, etc and arriving in Ireland in 18 plus or even 24 hours later. I can find better flight times but it involves driving for a few hours and leaving my car and spending a night at a hotel, so I feel like a hostage to Delta if I want fly from my regional airport and have only one or two stops.

I'm praying that they can get Jet Blue here.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.