Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: quincymarie

Traveler Since: 2003

July 04, 2011

other than for underwear will staff wash cothes in all locations on the Tanzania trips including tented camps?

also what is success rate for recharing batteries and kindles and ipads and are items reasonably secure

do folks wear headlamps where there is no electricity?

thanks Barry Gordon

Author: janice!

Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

July 04, 2011

I don't think GCT has any Tanzania trips. You are more likely to get your questions answered if you ask in the OAT Travel Forum.

Author: bad758

Traveler Since: 2001

July 14, 2011

This trip is wonderful.  I would not take any of those electronic devices; take a paperback instead.  You will be busy watching the BIG FIVE! No headlamps-- take a flashlight!  They wash your clothes at the tented camp only.  As for batteries for your camera, don't take the rechargeable kind.  Take extra batteries and change when needed.

Author: ellengord

Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Australia, New Zealand, Greece, Italy, France, Scotland, Hawaii and many Carribean islands ... Ellen enjoyed a safari in Kenya with her dad but that was 30 years ago and she's looking forward to another African adventure!

Traveler Since: 2011

April 20, 2012

We really enjoyed the tented camps in September 2011 ... it was the highlight of our trip!  We had our clothes cleaned at Thloma Lodge ($1 per peice) before we travelled into the Serengeti and again when we exited the park ... clean clothes were worth every penny!  My husband used a headlamp to read in the tents and I used a small hand-held flashlight ... we brought extra batteries but did not need them.  I recharged my camera battery twice per day ... actually the camp staff took the batteries and recharged them.  Make sure that you take a spare battery to capture every thrilling picture!  Have a wonderful trip!

Ellen

Author: ellengord

Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Australia, New Zealand, Greece, Italy, France, Scotland, Hawaii and many Carribean islands ... Ellen enjoyed a safari in Kenya with her dad but that was 30 years ago and she's looking forward to another African adventure!

Traveler Since: 2011

April 21, 2012

hello again

Regarding the security at any of the camps,lodges and sites, we had no worries nor did we hear of any problems with the Kibo camps!... I stored $1000 in my unlocked duffle.  No security problems.  I suspect that leaving any electronic devices in your checked-in luggage at the airport may be a problem though ... how would you prove that someone took your ipad/camera?  And who would travel back to Tanzania to challenge a misplaced item?  

Ellen

Author: lark01

Traveler Since: 2010

May 02, 2012

My wife and i are heading out for the Kenya/Tanzania tour in June and I wanted to ask if there was any 12v battery power in the tents?  I am bringing my light weight CPAP which I will use in hotels and flights. I would bring along a 12 v to 110v inverter  if there were any car type batteries in the tents. Any feed back on this possiblity is appreciated.

thx

Rpeltier

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.