Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: cnrsutcliffe

Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2011

May 14, 2011

My husband and I will be taking the Ireland trip June 27 with a post trip extension in Dublin.  I am a novice traveler and this is my first trip to Europe.  I'm trying to budget our additional expenses.  I haven't found anything that will give us a general range of meal prices that aren't included in the trip.  Does anyone have a rule of thumb for this?  Ireland is on the Euro.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

May 15, 2011

I will be taking that trip earlier in June, June 8th to be exact.  As far as budgeting for meals are concerned  -  most, if not all, of the optional tours include a lunch or a dinner.  Breakfasts, which are included, are quite substantial on all the trips I've taken.  And sometimes they don't mind if you take a piece of fruit from the buffet to have later in the day.

When I estimate how much a trip is going to cost me, I don't count the meals that are not included.  After all, whether I'm at home or on the trip, I have to eat.  If you need a ballpark figure, go to your local bookstore's travel section and see what Fodor or Frommer or Lonely Planet says.  I'd say your library, but they don't always have the latest edition.

Author: trombone

Trips Taken: 14
Traveler Since: 2001

May 16, 2011

We took the Ireland In Depth trip in March/April and had a wonderful time! Dublin was a fun place to explore on our own. Meal prices vary depending on what you want to eat. You can find everything from Burger King to fine dining and lots in between. The hotel breakfasts are very sufficient and the included meals were very good. We were satisfied with a sandwich or soup if we had an included meal, plus breakfast. Food is expensive and a sandwich and soup could run in the area of  10-15 Euros. A bowl of soup would be a bit less and it always comes with bread, which is quite filling.  Our guide, Sean Curran, who was outstanding by the way, always pointed out the "Cheap and Cheerful" places where one could get a meal reasonably and we're sure that your guide will do the same thing. At these places, a two-course meal might run about 15-20 Euros. 

The hotel rooms have coffee/tea makers and you can always bring some packages of cheese crackers or other snacks and eat in your room. There are also places where you can get "take away" and bring something more substantial back to your room. The food is all very good and you will not go hungry. We also enjoyed some of the local tea shops where you can enjoy a pot of Irish tea and scones or other delicious pastries. These repasts can run in the 8-10 Euro range, depending on what you order. 

Enjoy every minute of your time in the Emerald Isle.  

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

May 30, 2011

Sounds like it might be a good idea to bring snacks from home -- packaged peanut butter crackers, for example.

For those who are going in June, what airline is GCT using? Do you fly from Boston or JFK to Shannon or and return from Dublin? Or is there a flight to Galway? It used to be easy to find the airlines, but I don't see any info on the new web site

Thanks. I hope you June travelers have a wonderful, please post some comments when you return.

Thanks,

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

May 30, 2011

I'm going on the trip starting June 8.  The flight schedule has been an interesting medley of arrangements.  First, they had me flying from Boston to Dublin to Heathrow to Shannon on Aer Lingus, I believe.  And return from Dublin to Boston.  Then, they changed it so I would fly from Boston to JFK to Shannon and back from Dublin to JFK to Boston, all on Delta.  I seems nobody flies from Boston to Ireland on Wednesdays.

I hate changing at JFK, can't stand the airport and the crowds and the rudeness.  And Delta's had a lot of problems lately.  So I asked GCT's flight department to get me on Aer Lingus direct to Shannon the day before.  And back from Dublin to Boston on Aer Lingus.  Made arrangements for my seat assignments myself with the airline.  Now all I had to do was find a place to stay for the night, since I will be getting there the day before everyone else. 

There really doesn't seem to be anything in Shannon except the airport.  A few B&Bs in the area and one motel right at the airport.  And that's where I'll be.  I made the reservation through Orbitz after finding the place on Trip Advisor.

As I understand it, Galway's airport is not large enough for the big planes

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

May 31, 2011

Thanks Pauline,

I didn't realize it was so difficult to get a direct flight to Ireland -- what a roundabout itinerary. I think I would hate going through Heathrow even more than JFK, which is bad enough.

I think you did the right thing changing and it might be an advantage to spend your first night at the airport hotel, especially if the drive to Galway is long.

I hope you have a great trip and will let us know a bit about it when you return.

Countries Visited:

June 01, 2011

Pauline,

I hope you don't mind my asking, but I'm wondering if you would have to pay for breakaway travel to get the direct flight from Boston the day before the group leaves.

Thanks.

Countries Visited:

June 01, 2011

Luisa,

If there is a charge, I haven't seen it yet.  After all that fuss a few months ago about the added $100, I've been checking my account periodically to see if I was going to get that.  And I haven't.

I am so looking forward to this trip.  After the terrible winter we had that lasted so long, I need the change.

Countries Visited:

June 02, 2011

Pauline,

I have family and friends in the Boston area and heard about the dreadful winter. I hope you have a wonderful time in Ireland; it looks like a good itinerary. 

Happy travels, it won't be long before you're there.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.