Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

December 16, 2011

Nancyf,

While you don't like being told where you cannot sit on a bus, that is actually what you are doing to others in the group when you save seats for your friends. 

Janice 

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

December 17, 2011

I agree. I understand that one seat would be saved for your traveling companion, but saving three seats is pushing it. If the other two wanted to sit across from you then one of them should have gotten on the bus when you (or your traveling companion) did.

I'm not particular about where I sit on the bus but think people who get on the bus early and see seats that they would like "saved" have a legitimate complaint.

Maybe saving seats is one reason many PDs use assigned seating.

Author: nancyf

Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

December 17, 2011

Sorry, I am sticking to my guns. I do not think that it is rude to save seats for the other 2 people (besides the main traveling companion), and how in the world can it be an undisguised insult to others? Doesn't mean that you don't want to sit  by THEM, just that you like to be near the ones you are traveling with, so as to point out interesting things, etc. No, "these people" don't have to be by each other for 24 hours a day. What I find insulting and rude is a somewhat personal attack on others who post here and don't agree with you.

Author: diamondlil

Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2012

December 19, 2011

I'm new to GCT but not new to traveling. I'm having a hard time comprehending why GCT doesn't use seat rotation on the bus like many other tour companies do. This eliminates the same people grabbing the choice seats day after day. Does anyone have an answer?

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

December 19, 2011

It seems to be up to the individual Program Directors.  On my last trip, which was Ireland in June, we moved two rows every day.  On other trips, the PD has just asked that the same people not take the front seats every day.  As I posted earlier, in Malta two younger people rushed to get on first and take the first seats until I took it upon myself to point out that some of the older people should be given the chance.

As you can see from the various opinions, everybody has a different point of view about whether or not seats should be assigned.  And there are pros and cons for both.  Now that GCT issues the "whisper" radios, people who are hard of hearing as I am don't have to sit near the front to hear. 

Author: hootie

Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

December 20, 2011

I don't know if it's just that I'm getting older & more grumpy, but what I'm finding irritating  more often is when people from the front of the bus rush to exit from the rear door.  There is nowhere for the rear passengers to go.  It just seems to take longer to disembark.  We are all anxious to get off & explore but the tours don't start until everyone is off the bus anyway.  I don't think I'm alone in my thinking as I've heard plenty of grumblings from others.  I know, it's a very small matter in the whole scheme of things...!

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

December 20, 2011

It isn't just you, Hootie.

For about the first three days on my Turkey trip every time the bus stopped, people from the last few rows in front of the back door jumped up and went out the back and we in the back had to wait for them to get off.

On one rest stop I saw a woman who sat near me at the back talking to the PD. When everyone got back on the bus he stood at the front and said that he should have mentioned earlier that the people who sit in front of the back door should exit by the front door and the back door exit is for the people behind the back door. No problem after that. We were rotating two rows every day so everyone sat in the front and in the back at some point.

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

December 20, 2011

For some reason that I've never understood, some people prefer the back stairway.  I don't see much difference between them.  There are plenty of handholds for those of us who need them.  But I also get annoyed at those who push their way against the tide.  It's so obvious that they're inconveniencing other people.

Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

December 20, 2011

luisa

I will have to remember how the "back door exit" situation was handled on your Turkey trip for the next time it happens...and there will be a NEXT TIME!

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

December 20, 2011

Re: luisa - I understand that one seat would be saved for your traveling companion, but saving three seats is pushing it. If the other two wanted to sit across from you then one of them should have gotten on the bus when you (or your traveling companion) did. I'm not particular about where I sit on the bus but think people who get on the bus early and see seats that they would like "saved" have a legitimate complaint.

I totally agree with luisa here. Anyone wanting to sit with a group of friends should wait on the friends and just board the bus together. I do consider it rude to save additional rows of seats.

Author: robsmom

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

December 20, 2011

We hate the front seats, prefer to sit  3/4 back. . When rotating we tell others go closer to front and we stay in rear. Our choice. But, when a couple saves 1 st seat on left  & right for herself & hubby to sit opposite each other wih empty seat beside them, No one said anything to couple , but complained to each other. Using my kindest New Jersey teacher's voice, I explaind to the couple that there were 2 elderly people  who had difficuty moving tthrough the bus, and could they please occassionally let those people use the front seats. I then was treated to the most hateful response, with crude language and racia,l antisemetic slurs.I was horrified and unresponsive.

Thankfully everyone heard this and all came to my defense and LET HER HAVE IT.  She was too embarrased to ever sit in the front again.We are all adults, there will always be ignorant people who feel that they are above following the rules.

Author: nancyf

Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

December 20, 2011

Just so some of you who think I am so rude will know that I am not "all bad", I do agree with the last poster about couples (or 2 friends traveling together), sitting separately from each other, essentially splitting up and isolating seats, whereas couples or 2 people traveling together cannot sit together (if the bus is full), is not very polite. I know that some people might like that extra empty seat for their backpacks and stuff, but it keeps others from sitting together..........

Countries Visited:

December 21, 2011

You can usually tell early into a trip how large your "color group" is and judge the amount of seats on buses to see if there is going to be extra/empty seats.  I have no problem with travelers splitting up and spreading out.  My husband & I have done it on several trips where there have been 6 or more empty seats.  We don't do it all the time & those of us who do, take turns.  Some of the bus seats are small & uncomfortable for what I consider even an average size person, let alone those of us with more meat on our bones!  Winter coats can add girth too.  I travel with a medium size tote to fit my camera, water, purchases etc.  My husband has a camera around his neck & a video camera with small case.  We are both tall so there is little leg room.  We both take pictures while traveling on the bus.  (Yes, most do come out ) He tells me to sit by the window because I have a better camera & take better pictures.  Inevitably, I get knocked around pretty good while taking pics that he also feels the need to take or video, so, YES, if I get a chance to sit elsewhere, I go for it!!!  I play nice, but consider yourself warned!  There are usually extra seats during the optional tours too adding to the many variables. Since GC is supposedly lowering the total of travelers in a group, we all may have more room for our bodies & belongings! 

Author: janice!

Countries Visited:

many

December 21, 2011
When I get on a bus and see an empty seat not being held for someone by the person in the adjoning seat, then I consider the empty seat available fo me.  It  really isn't fair for a person to expect to occupy two seats in order to have room for everything he or she is carrying on the bus.  If you don't want me sitting next to you, then look for another place to sit.  Just keep in mind that you have paid for one seat and that is all you are entitled to.

Countries Visited:

December 21, 2011

Nowadays, when the number of travelers is between 32 and 38 and the bus seats 50, there are enough seats for everyone.  When I used to travel with a friend, we usually boarded the bus at the same time.  But if one of us was running a little late, the other boarded and held the adjoining seat.  We always tended to be early, which was one of the things that helped make us get along so well.  Now that I travel solo, I welcome someone who wants to join me.

In Ireland last June, we moved two rows every day.  And that meant that the people across the aisle changed, and very soon you'd met everyone.

Author: captainlarry

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

December 21, 2011

I have had seven tours with GCT that involved at least some bus transportation. Only one of them (America's Majestic National Parks) used assigned seating. Four bus trips with other companies all used rotating assigned seating. There were always some of the tourists who asked for and were granted "permanent" seating in the back of the bus. The rest of us rotated.

We frequently travel with another couple. We like to be seated together to discuss what we are seeing as we travel along. If there is assigned seating we take seats on the same side of the bus, one before the other. That way we stay together as we move. If seats are not assigned, none of the four of us will board the bus until all four are ready to board. If there are not four seats available in close proximity, we take whatever is left.

Countries Visited:

December 22, 2011

to clarify...

My husband & I don't rush to be the first ones on the bus (we're usually between the middle & last) & we sit together, as in side by side, right next to each other, with our gear on our laps or on the floor in front of us.  If there are empty seats AFTER everyone is seated OR several empty seats left with only a couple left to board, OR after the first tour stop & there are still empty seats available upon re-boarding, I/we have no problem with anyone relocating &/or putting their belongings on the seat next to them even though they only paid for one seat.  We don't start out by sitting in separate seats/rows with our gear on the seat next to us to keep people away or any such nonsense.  That would be rude.  As I've said, I play nice.  An empty seat is an open seat.  And if someone sat next to me that I didn't particularly care for, I just might move to another available seat.

Of the 8 trips we've traveled with GC (both land & river cruises), we've only encountered a structured bus seating rotation twice.  Both times everyone was instructed how the seating would change by our program director on the FIRST bus trip we traveled within our color group.  The other 6 times were open seating.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.