Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: suzstanley

Traveler Since: 2011

May 08, 2011

2-16 April, 2011  My 88 year old mother and I were on the second trip, post revolution.  It was a fantastic trip.  With only 50 passengers, our group was divided into a yellow team and a green team with our own buses and guides.  We were with Amin, who was a knowledgeable Egyptologist who looked after all of us 24/7.  The Egyptians are very proud of their country and full of hope and great expectations for the future of their country after the revolution.  Everywhere we went people were friendly and welcoming.  Security is high for Americans as a result of troubles in 1997--but the tourist police are very laid back.  As there were half the usual number of tourists, my mother was given the VIP treatment while we were touring Cairo and on the cruise!  My mother did everything except the camel ride and Abu Simbel.  (I had been before and it was too early for Mom, so we took a taxi to the Nubian Museum for the morning instead.) 

I would have liked more unstructured time...but the majority of my fellow travellers liked being taken everywhere as that is what they signed up for.  The Marriott in Cairo was a wonderful hotel with a fantastic pool if you like swimming.  Make sure that you leave the hotel and explore the Zalamek area.  My one regret was that we weren't able to go to the ballet at the Cairo Opera House (very cheap and three blocks away).  This was a great trip and I would reccomend going NOW, during the honeymoon period for the country.  Suzanne

Author: hawkeye62

Traveler Since: 2006

May 16, 2011

I agree completely, we just came home on May 1st from our 5th trip to Egypt. It;s not just post revolution, the people of Egypt are always friendly and there is always good security for tourists. It's a great time to visit Egypt as the sites are less crowded than normal.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.