Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: beavermeadow

Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

Besides travel in the US We have been to the Baltic Countries, the Mediterranean, South America, Costa Rica, Canada, Mexico, Alaska, Australia and New Zealand, Ireland, Scotland, England and Central Europe.

Traveler Since: 2004

May 07, 2011

My husb. and I will be on this trip and really looking forward to it.  We have been on other river cruises, but this destination has interested us for a long time. We are also doing the post trip toBrittany & Mont St. Michel.    We would love to hear from fellow travelers.  We live in FL.,retired. My husb. is a golfer & I love to play MahJongg.  Bev

Author: robsmom

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

May 07, 2011

You must be talking about me and my husband. Fl (Ft Myers), golf &Mahjongg. Going to Russia in June, but considering Seine next. Let me know how it turns out.

Author: grammyflo

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2002

May 08, 2011

Another Floridian golf and mahjong fan signing in!  Also interested in the Seine trip and will watch for your trip report!!!

Author: jayge

Trips Taken: 11

May 09, 2011

Seine River trip.

We took this river trip on June 16, 2010 aboard the Bizet.  We did not take the pre or post trips this time because we have been to London and the pre-trip was Paris.  The ship was to be docked in Paris the second and third days so we did get a tour of many of the Paris highlights by bus.  Also went to the Louvre.  We could see the Eiffel Tower from the ship and took a walk one day towards that area.  The French pronounce it differently (I think).  Sounds more like Eiffel as if it were spelled EFFEL rather than the American way of saying it as if it were spelled EYEFULL.  I made the mistake of trying to get directions saying it incorrectly and the store clerk was puzzled.

We almost always do all the optional things with each trip.  The visit to  Giverny, Monet's home was very beautiful and not to be missed Optional.  The gardens were magnificent and his home was very charming.

We did not get to Bayeux because of a bus breakdown.  At least, I believe that was the reason for the cancellation.

The part which surprised me was visiting the place where D-Day invasion took place.  I thought it would be rather depressing, etc.  However, it was extremely interesting to be at Pointe du Hoc, where the Allied forces scaled the 328 foot cliffs under fire from the German guns (which are still there to see).  The Caen WWII memorial Museum was most interesting and I wish it could have been an even longer visit.

I wish I could provide more details but my memory does not serve me well.  The most important thing was the great ship, the Bizet, its crew, the delicious meals and meeting so many nice travelers onboard.  The waiters/waitresses were all nice but we especially enjoyed Vitor from Portugal.  He knew I wanted to use some French and so did others, and he accommodated us during dinner with a few phrases and very professional service.

It was another great Grand Circle trip; one which we may take again.

Enjoy!

Author: beavermeadow

Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

Besides travel in the US We have been to the Baltic Countries, the Mediterranean, South America, Costa Rica, Canada, Mexico, Alaska, Australia and New Zealand, Ireland, Scotland, England and Central Europe.

May 11, 2011

Hi Jayge,  I'm so glad this forum is active.  I have been on other forums with different tour companies, but because they were not user friendly the posts were not current.

We have planned to take most of the optional tours on this trip. We are not interested in the Paris Clubs nor the Bayeux Tapestry.  But I would love to see Versailles, The Louvre,etc.

My favorite River Cruise to date was the Reine & Mosel.   It is truly beautiful with all the castles & vineyards.  My favorite large ship cruise was the Mediterranean.

I would love to hear from someone going on the Sept. 23, 2011 Paris to Normandy trip. We are traveling alone this time & it would be nice to "meet" a fellow traveler.  Bev

Author: wlongman

Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 1994

May 11, 2011

We are back from the Seine R. cruise in April on M/S Bizet...from LaHavre to Paris.  Highlights were Bayeax Tapestry/cathedral and D Day Beaches and  Monet gardens at Giverny and Conflans-St. Honorine Van Gogh sites and nighttime cruise in Paris.  How lucky...we had mostly sunny days with a few clouds temps in 60s and no rain even in Normandy.

For sure the ship and dinners and service was great...super program directors.

I do have a complete journal which I compose for every trip so I will remember sights, connect photos, send to family.   Glad to forward a copy via email: walongman@yahoo.com.  Or you can see a briefer report: www.fodors.com/community...e/cruising-the-seine.cfm

This was our 6th GCT trip (among many overseas) and each one excellent.  We appreciate certain learning/experiencing aspects beyond just sightseeing and still debating travel by cruise vs land tour. 

Bill in Boston

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.