Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: rosemarynj

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2010

May 07, 2011

We just booked the Great Rivers of Europe, June 8th, with extension to Brussels and Bruges.  Anyone joining us?

Our itinerary is Vienna to Amsterdam.  Some have said this gives less time in certain places.  Is this ture?  We needed to travel in June and wanted the Brussels extension so we had no choice on itinerary.   We are trying to decide on optional tours.  Does anyone have suggestions as to which ones are worthwhile for the $?   Also, if there are any of the places we can go on our own from cruise ship?  Also, I am looking for a good guide book - any suggestions?   

Has anyone done the Brussels and Bruge extension?  Any suggestions on what we should see?  How as The Hotel in Brussels?

Thanks for any help you can give my husband and I.

Author: garyjulie

Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2004

May 17, 2011

Not sure how to start a post. So tagging along here. How much US cash do you take with?

Author: captainlarry

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

May 17, 2011

Rosemary, we took the Great Rivers cruise, in the other direction, about five years ago. I think we took all the offered optional excursions except the "night life" tour to Rudisheim. We enjoyed them all, but Wittenburg Monastery least of all. Heidelberg and Rothenburg are well worth the time and the price. Marksburg Castle is great unless you've grown weary of castles by that time.

Garyjulie, you don't have much use for US currency on the cruise. Any expenses on the ship, including gratuities to the crew, must (or should) be paid with a credit card. Also use the credit card to pay for optional tours. Tips to the program directors and to step-on guides and drivers are best given in Euros, although they will certainly accept US$ without complaint. At the first opportunity (Vienna) get a supply of Euros from an ATM. That is by far your best exchange rate. Only exchange US$ for Euro on the ship in an emergency. The exchange rate is much worse there. You'll find an ATM within a couple of blocks of where the ship docks everywhere except Nuremburg. There you have to ride the shuttle into town. All of this information is five years old and may be somewhat different today. But that is my best recollection.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

May 19, 2011

I don't know what's causing this sudden interest in taking US currency.  I only carry what I will need to pay for transportation from my home to the airport and transportation from the airport back to my home.  My limo company only accepts AMEX (which I don't have) or cash.  And I add a little extra to pay for coffee or something while waiting to board.

You use your ATM card to obtain local currency.  You pay for optional tours by credit card.  Most shops and restaurants accept Visa and Mastercard.  Almost as many accept AMEX.  It's only Discover that's not accepted abroad.  So far, in spite of the concern about barcode vs chip, I haven't had any problems.

When you board your river ship, you will be asked to register your credit card as soon as possible.  Then all your purchases aboard ship, like drinks at the bar or purchases at the concierge desk, are charged to your room.  If it's a Russian ship which does not have Wi-Fi, you're computer time will also be charged to your room.  About 24 hours before the end of the tour, you will be given a breakdown of your charges for you to verify.

Author: gaynell

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2005

May 27, 2011

Rosemary, I noticed that no one has answered your question about optional tours, so here goes.  We took this trip in July, 2010, during the worst heat wave in decades in Germany and Austria. At least it cooled down when we got to Amsterdam! 

1) Melk Abbey- In cooler weather, we would have walked the two or three kilometers from the river up to this Abbey and just paid for our own admission, but considering the 95 degree heat, the transportation cost in the GCT package  was worth every penny. We loved the tour of the buildings, the cathedral, and the library, and down in the basement there was a special exhibit about the architect that my engineer husband enjoyed a lot. Our charming young guide had gone to the Abbey's sister college, St. John's in Minnesota, and he spoke excellent English and gave interesting commentary.  The gardens and forest were lovely, and we loved the serene greenness of that area, especially in the heat. Be sure to allow time for the outdoor areas.

2) Baroque and Beer- The Baroque church is in such contrast to the architectural styles of other churches we saw in Austria and Germany, and we both thought it was fascinating and beautiful. The guide inside the church did an excellent job of explaining the decorations. We had pretzels and beer under trees, in a picnic area, and then boarded a small ferry for a ride on a scenic part of the river, back to our bus, which then took us to see the huge, ostentatious Liberation Hall. The whole trip was very pleasant and interesting, and we would do it again.

3) Rothenburg Tour- This all day trip was long but fun; how many chances do you have to see a 14th century city?  The half timbered houses reminded us of something from Disneyland, and the surrounding city walls were massive. Half the day was guided, so we learned the history of the city, and the other half was free, so we enjoyed wandering about on our own, and also did some shopping. We were lucky to happen across a choir concert in one church, and sat for a bit and let the music envelop us.  Some people on our tour had been to Rothenburg before, but I noticed that they chose to go a second time! This city is a tourist destination for folks from all over.

4)Rudesheim Dinner Outing - We didn't take this, for the food and wine on the ship was quite good and we already felt stuffed!

5) Marksburg Castle- This 13th Century Castle was a fun experience, and we would recommend it for any able-bodied traveler. There was some climbing of stairs and a lot of uneven spots, and I would not take this optional tour if you need a cane or walking aid, or have balance  problems or problems with stairs. It was interesting to think about what life was like for the inhabitants so many centuries ago, to climb the towers and look out. The twelve year old boy who was with us really loved this optional trip, so if you have teens or kids with you, be sure to do this one. The second part of this trip was beer and sausages at a casual, fun brewery; the people (my husband, for instance) who loved beer and sausages were in heaven, but I, personally, would have been happy to just end the trip after the wonderful castle.

6) Amsterdam- Just on the street near the boat dock is a shuttle stop where, for about $2, you can get a ticket on a shuttle that drives all about Amsterdam to a lot of different sites.  One of them is the Hermitage Museum. (It doesn't go as far as the Rijksmuseum, though. ) When we were tin Amsterdam, theHermitage Museum was having a special Matisse exhibit that I really wanted to see. (There are rotating exhibits, so look on-line before you go so you will know if they have something you are interested in.) After seeing that museum, we walked the pleasant mile to the Rijksmuseum.and enjoyed the hours we spent there before taking a $10 taxi back to the ship. The Van Gogh Museum is just at the other end of the park, and if we had wanted to go to those two (the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh) we could have done those instead, using a taxi both ways for less than the optional tour. You would still have to pay your own admission to whichever museum(s) you would choose to visit. We wanted the maximum time at the museums and on the streets of this lovely city, and this plan worked well for us.There is good shopping at the stalls in this grass area between the two museums, by the way.

So, Rosemary........I don't think you can go wrong with any of the optional tours we took, and we would choose to take all of them again!  Have a wonderful trip.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.