Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: dlneglia

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2010

April 19, 2011

We need some advice and/or recommendations about the 2 optional tours offered:  Antelope Canyton Slot Tour and Mesa Verde National Park.

Also, how about the weather in mid-May?

And, having to buy 11 lunches and/or 11 dinners, any advice and/or recommendations?

Hoping to get some suggestins - thanks!

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

April 19, 2011

Antelope Canyon is amazing -- don't miss it! Mesa Verde is very nice but so is just wandering around Durango. Read about and look at pictures of Mesa Verde and then decide.

Expect some rather cold weather. You will be at high elevations everywhere except Lake Powell. You will certainly see snow in the Big Horn Mountains, Yellowstone, and probably Bryce Canyon.

I don't remember specific restaurants but I think the hotel dining rooms were all pretty good and reasonably priced. We found some nice casual diners in close proximity to the hotels in most of the sites. The Park lodges are a bit isolated and you are a captive audience there.

It's a great trip! I loved it!

Author: chickie35

GCT Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2005

June 25, 2011

My husband and I will be taking this trip July 21 to Aug 9.  Looking for tip on things to see or do.

Also clothing??? any suggestions.

May in Florida

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

May 20, 2012

We took the trip in May 2010, as a consolation because our trip to Holland and Belgium to see the tulips was cancelled due to the eruption of the volcano in Iceland.  We took both the Antelope Canyon and Mesa Verde.  In our opinion, those should be taken, because if you don't there's nothing else for you to do, although the experiences were satisfactory.  Antelope Canyon is a slot canyon and we got some very impressive photos as a consequence.  Mesa Verde is an architectural wonder, which we got to explore if we were willing to walk down and up.

The weather in May was generally cool; we wore Grand Circle jackets with either a fleece or sweatshirt underneath and it was sufficient, despite the fact that we had some snow on leaving Grand Rapids.  We also had some sufficiently warm weather to justify the shorts and short sleeves we brought.  We were disappointed with some aspects of the trip, however.  We visited the North /rim of the Grand Canyon, which is not nearly as impressive as the South Rim, and was a major disappointment for most in our group.  When we visited Monument Valley, we didn't go in; we just saw it from the road.  In our opinion a very cheap way for Grand Circle to advertise that you see this.  It was especially disconcerting because it would have cost just $2.00 additional per person to actually bring the bus in to the concession and ride around up close.  We did have excellent accommodations when we went to see Old Faithful.  It was only a couple hundred yeards from our hotel to the geyser.  If we wanted, we could have gone to see it at night( when nobody else was there, as it erupts with regularity.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.