Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

December 23, 2012

Prosecutors frequently operate on the premise that "intent follows the bullet."  Defenses sometmes effectively refute that.  In this case, you are free, like the prosecution to adopt the premise the intent follows the outcome.  We disagreed, simply because we have no EVIDENCE that the outcome was deliberate.  We frequently make errors in spelling of someone's name.  We see that we could have just as easily made the same errors with regard to wattsed's name.  if we did, would you have jumped to the conclusion that we were deliberately insulting him?  You see, Pauline, if the intent was deliberate, then you're right; if not, then you're jumping to conclusions, and owing prometheius an apology.  Which is why we usually don't bother with WHO writes something.  Because then we wind up dealing with personalities, and dealing with personalities leads to abuse and unfruitful discussions.  Which is what this is turning into.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

December 23, 2012

One does, sometimes, assume intent based on the context of the statement and the history of the person making the statement.  Based on Prometheus or Xerxes or Centaur's past postings, I assume that the intent was a play on Wattsed's chosen avatar with the intent to insult, if not him, then his opinion.  You, of course, are entitled to your own opinion.  And we do grant you that, even when we don't agree.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

December 23, 2012

"Wunderbar! I have angered ALL the right people ... as was my intent.

BTW .. there was no error in spelling; it was deliberate."

Of course it was; I think that was obvious to most of us. I must admit your behavior here makes me wonder what you do to entertain yourself elsewhere. 

Author: janice!

December 23, 2012

Do the seven defense attorneys still think their client is innocent?

December 23, 2012

janice-the answer to your quejstion is no.  Prometheus has removed all doubt on that point.  Our post was just to give the benefit of the doubt prior to making judgment.  After all, isn't that the best policy?  We note that you were quite willing to give the benefit of the doubt to others in a post on visas on the OAT web site.    

Author: ed watts

GCT Trips Taken: 1
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The azores, Antarctica, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

December 23, 2012

Thank you Pauline, Luisa and Janice for coming to my "defense" but I am a big boy  and also have a sense of humor---I thought it was an interesting and humerous  play on words of what he thought of my posts/oipinions and he has a right to that opionon if he so desires.I can take it.....My nickname in service was taken as a joke---it was Sixty as in 60 watts, not quite as bright as 100 watts though!  I was able to turn it around on people and joke that my goal was to get promoted to 100 and eventually become a kilowatt...I was asked many times if I did,  so I also joked that I invented the wattsAcalIt and even had a business in that name at one time....I worked for The Treasury Department for 39 years after getting out of service so I have had a lot and  better insults directed my way over the years than that one to get upset over something trival as this since I recognized it for what it was (albeit, I can understand your desire not to have things like this appear on the forum)...

Anyway, as I said on the other forum, my analysis indicates that centaur, xerxes and prometheus are one and the same as indicated that each show only one trip, the writing and use of words are similar, sentence structure similar, similar ego, similar agreement with one person, plus several other similar features..  Frankly, I think they are puppets the strings of which are being pulled by only one person..

MERRY CHRISTMAS (or what ever holiday you observe this time of year) and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to each and every one on this forum...May your next trip always be your best ever!     And now since I don't have much more to say here, could you say I am at "wittsend"??

December 23, 2012

Seven, I strongly believe in giving someone the benefit of the doubt. Please note that I made no  judgmental statements about his post before he declared himself guilty. I also believe that there is a huge difference between a travel group member being ostrasized by the whole group because he arrived without a visa for some unknown reason.and accusing a person of writing an abusive statement in this forum. It's like comparing a mountain to a molehill.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

December 23, 2012

And, Wattsed, it wasn't you so much that we were defending.  I, and I think I speak for the three of us, were standing up for the courteous give and take that has been a part of the forums ever since they have existed.  Nobody has ever hesitated to voice an opinion, but they have all been voiced diplomatically.  And I hope that will be the case in the future.

December 23, 2012

janice-we're glad to see that you agree with us on giving the benefit of the doubt.  In fact, we noted that in our post to you above by our observing your prior comments elsewhere.  But we do wonder how you would have "stood up for the couretous"( as per Pauline's comment ) on our trip who obtained their visas in advance( since you cited this in your post above ) as opposed to the one individual who did not, for no good reason, and held up the rest of the "courteous."   We are most interested in your reasoning.  Of course this is hypothetical, as you weren't there, but speaking in hypotheticals, we would be interested in your views.  Hypothetically, of course. 

December 23, 2012

Svncontinents, I'm having trouble understanding what you wrote. I'm confused by your use of word "courteous" as a noun. My best guess is that you want to know what I would have done if I had been part of your tour group which you described on the OAT forum. Here's my hypothetical response: I would have so sickened by the lot of you that I would have had to go home.

That's it for me; I'm done with this topic.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

December 24, 2012

Pauline stated my views too.

Author: grandcircle

GCT Trips Taken: 0

December 26, 2012

Hello Everybody -

Just a friendly reminder to keep your posts positive and on topic. Also, please be respectful towards your fellow participants.

If you have any questions about participating in our Forum, please see our Guidelines for Participation:

http://www.gct.com/Community/Travel-Forum/Guidelines-for-Participation.aspx

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCCL/GCT Forum Moderator

Author: rwhansen

GCT Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2010

December 27, 2012

Thank you, Michelle.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.