Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: bajapro

Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2010

April 13, 2011

with the extra day in Sydney we want to go out to the blue mountains.  Blue mountains tours appears to be the best rated guide but is booked for the day.  if we could maybe get a goup we could get them to do it.  Is anybody interested.  their regular price is 160 per person.

Author: fredm31

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2000

April 20, 2011

We were in Sydney in February at the time of the Earthquake in Christ Church.  We had to remain in Sydney at extra day due to a change in the itinerary.  We did not take the Blue Mountain trip, but our friends did.  Our tour director arranged it for those who wanted to go.  The price for the entire day trip was approximately $100.  I noticed in the hotel that there were brochures from several companies offering that same trip for about the same price.  If you haven't already booked, I am sure that you can find a company when you get there for that trip.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

April 20, 2011

I would agree that making your reservations for the Blue Mountains when you get to Sydney is a good idea.  Sometimes the haze that gives them their name is so heavy that you don't see anything from the viewing points.  That happened to a friend and me on our first trip when our reservations were made ahead.  We returned a few years later when it was clear, and the views are spectacular.

The price may seem high, but it usually includes a lunch and the boat ride back on the Parramatta River.

Author: bajapro

Trips Taken: 4

April 23, 2011

thanks we found one and we really like seeing the  country side no matter what the weather.

Author: loconnor79

Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2008

April 25, 2011

Just returned from this trip last week...4/20/11. We did use our extra day in Sydney to visit the Blue Mountains.  Andrea, our wonderful tour guide helped about 15 of us make the arrangements.  We got the trip for $98 each and she negotiated so we could get the coach ride right back to our hotel instead of the river ride.  The day was rainy and the mountains were barely visible but the sky did clear when we took the cable car and funicular down.  It was breathtaking.  What we loved most about the trip was the hour we spent in the nature park on the way to the Blue Moutains.  Can't remember the name but it is right outside Sydney and was wonderful.  You can see the name in the travel brochures.  We would have loved to spend much more time there than the hour allowed.  In our estimation it was far better than the corc farm (which was stillgreat) in Cairns.

Author: kgustaf

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

September 09, 2012

Just curious about how the weather was on your trip --- we are hoping to go on this trip in late April, 2013.  Did you have any problem with the flies in the Outback?  And what are your recommendations on clothing for the wide range of temperatures?

Any advice is appreciated!

Author: oldbog

Trips Taken: 6

September 09, 2012

As always....layers!  You will have laundry facilities in the hotels which helps.

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

September 09, 2012

I was in the Outback in October years ago.  And there were flies!  Someone had given me a hat with a wide brim and netting all around, and I really made use of it.  You can probably buy the netting before you go and just tuck it under your wide-brimmed hat.  Don't forget, the sun is very strong and there is a hole in the ozone layer.  Australia and New Zealand have a very high incidence of skin cancer. 

Author: wattsed

Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

November 20, 2012

My wife and I were in Australia from Christmas through January a couple years ago and the weather was great..This was with a provider other than GCT; however, of our group, we were the only ones who took the Blue Mountain trip and, as others have posted, this is a great trip and worth what you pay...In fact, I would say that this was in the top five things we did on the entire Australia visit...I highly recommend it if you have the chance..

Author: svncontinents

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2007

December 04, 2012

. There's one thing even BETTER than the Blue Mountain trip; climb the bridge in Sydney.  There's nothing like it.  It's not particularly strenuous( in fact, once we got on top of the bridge is was less steep than walking up the hill from the waterfront to our hotel ), but it can be difficult to arrange.  You need to book a specific time, as they take limited numbers of people.  If you want to do this, carefully check your itinerary to see when you'll have at least a 3-hour block of time in Sydney.  Include travel time from your hotel to the bridge.  If you're not sure, you can call Grand Circle for some advice.

We're not saying you do this instead of the Blue Mountain trip; you can hopefully do both.  But this is not to be missed.  The company is BRIDGE CLIME.  They probably have a web site. 

Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

December 04, 2012

Not to be disagreeable but I still rate the Blue Mountain trip over the bridge climb if I had a choice of only one of the two..That said, the only difference on the options in my opinion  would be if you  really want to claim bragging rights that you climbed the bridge!  If you have the time, then I would recommend both however.. ...When we were in Australia we were fortunate to have several free days in Sydney  (it was a non-OAT tour) and were also fortunate to be able to do both so I can speak from experience...On our tour coming out of the Blue  mountains there was a stop at a fruit orchard which also had a snack bar attached to the fruit stand...The snack bar had fresh baked apple and other fruit pies that made the whole area smell good...In addition, the hot, fresh apple pie was served with home-made ice cream--that alone was worth the tour and, to this day, I can still smell and taste that pie,! 

Countries Visited:

December 05, 2012

loconnot79---I just viewed my pictures from the Australia trip and if I can read the sign correctly on the picture my wife took of me the name of the wildlife stop was "Featherbed Park"....I agree with you that it was a very interesting wildlife park....if we are talking about the same one, I really enjoyed the bird show...

December 21, 2012

watsed-we believe the name is FEATHERDALE Park, and it certainly is well worth the stop.  But also having seen the Blue Mountains, AND climbed the bridge in Sydney, as have you,  We feel that the bridge climb was a far more unique experience.  The views of Sydney were magnificent and unobstructed.  The additional thrill of climbing the bridge was a unique experience in and of itself.  As we said, we offered our view not as an either-or opinion; just as something extremely worthwhile for one to do.   We were the only other people in our group to do so, and after seeing our pictures( taken by Bridge Climb-you are not allowed to take anything on the climb with you ), most people in our group( which also went to the Blue Mountains ), realized that they missed something they should have done.   Ciimb the Bridge.  You will not regret it. 

Countries Visited:

December 21, 2012

7-c, you are probably correct on the name as I looked at the picture and saw 'feather" and just made it "Featherbed"---My wife later corrected me that "Featherbed" was a place we visited in South Africa on our way up the coast from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth(and as you know, wives are never wrong!)

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

December 22, 2012

"As usual, Seven Continents offers succinct, intelligent, well-considered and valuable input. Wiitsend on the other hand ...?"

This snide comment is uncalled for and not amusing or clever.

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

December 22, 2012

Luisa, the same could be said of some other recent posts on this forum. I hope you and anyone who agrees will click the Report Abuse link.

December 23, 2012

One of the good things about these forums is that you get to look at everyone's particular favorites regarding a travel location.  We suppose we could have gleened that from the traveler reviews, but the forum is a bit more succinct.  Wattsed, having taken a comparable trip to us indicates his favorites; we indicated ours.  Prometheius indicates yet another.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  We suppose that applies to which aspect of a particular travel location as well.  Not being able to say which isbetter, our advice is to EVERYTHING.  And then YOU can post YOUR favorite.

Countries Visited:

December 23, 2012

For Prometheus, or whatever he's calling himself these days, to deliberately misname Wattsed is insulting and has no place on this forum.  We are all entitled to our opinions, but most of us are more diplomatic about stating them.

December 23, 2012

As two who frequently misspell names( primarily because we can't remember anything for more than 30 seconds after we've seen it, and this forum does not repost the article to which one is replying as part of the reply ), we're not so sure that the misspelling of wattsed's name was deliberate.  If so, that's a serious charge, but unfortunately, lacking in evidence.  We'd prefer to give  think it's due to simple misspelling and/or lack of remembering the name.  Until there is considerable evidence for some alternative conclusion.

A forum is a place for discussion, which includes disagreement, as well as concurrence.  Personally, it is irrelevant to us WHO posts something as opposed to WHAT the post says.  We do NOT consider personailties, but apparently others do.  We find that gets in the way of an intelligent and in-depth discussion of the IDEA, which is what the forum is for.  Of course, everyone is free to use whatever criteria they wish in their reply.  We simply stated ours.

Countries Visited:

December 23, 2012

You don't think referring to someone as "wittsend" isn't insulting?

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.