Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: baywaves

Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2001

May 02, 2011

I found really neat stacking dolls at one of the small towns along the way.  There was kind of a street bazaar on the walk back to the ship.  They have the traditional dolls as well as sports dolls and even some that you can paint yourself.  I think it was in Svir Stoy - the last stop.  We also bought some lovely woven wooden boxes - very unusual.

Prices were as good there as anywhere else and better than on the ship.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

May 02, 2011

There was an onboard contest.  People were given plain wooden dolls to paint in whatever colors and styles they chose.  The dolls were about 5 inches tall.  Then they were lined up on a table where the PDs put out daily information, and we all were given the chance to vote on our favorites.

For the person who asked about the shawls, the gift shop on the ship has a lot of them.  And the staff will teach you how to arrange them. 

Author: elna

Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Russia, Austalia, Finland, Estonia, England, Scotland, Wales, Pakistan, Singapore,

Traveler Since: 2009

May 21, 2011

The ship has a souvenir shop with gorgeous items. The tour directors will tell you to shop in Uglich........and it is a shoppers paradise, with all sorts of stalls along the street.  I did not get Matruska's.........had some from another trip to Tver & Moscow (adoption trip with daughter).

Just depends on what you like........local wood items, birch/ash.

Ditto what Pauline said.

Author: cleopat

Trips Taken: 3

May 23, 2011

Which town would be the best to look for best prices on amber jewelry?

Which town would be the best to look for best prices on Faberge eggs?

Are there gift shops in the museums?  If so, how do they compare to the one onboard?

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

May 23, 2011

In both Moscow and St. Petersburg, you are taken to large souveneir shops where you can spend a great deal of time looking at jewelry, porcelein, shawls, etc.  But the selection, though larger, is no better than that in the gift shop on the ship.  And prices are comparable.

Any place that's offering bargain prices on things like amber is out to cheat you.  It may be amber, but it's probably plastic. 

You will be given handouts describing the crafts available for purchase and what to look for.  Also, there will be a demonstration by a couple of the PDs, some crew, and gift shop staff describing what to look for.

In the gift shops, there is a lot of green amber that is very clear and looks like glass.  It's not very interesting to look at.  I purchased a bracelet on the ship that is alternating squares of green (not clear) and cherry amber.  Most amber you see is set in silver.  If you buy a ring or bracelet, remember it cannot be re-sized when you get it home.  Amber is flammable.

As far as Faberge eggs, someone posted above (or maybe in another listing) about getting a beautiful one on the ship for a better price than others seen in shops.

The Hermitage museum does have one or two gift shops.

Author: mrose

Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2011

August 25, 2011

For Hootie-we were in Kiev last year (business trip), and I found the best "one stop/short time" (price and selection) shopping at St. Andrew's Descent area-across from St. Andrew's Church.  The street stands have a huge variety of hand crafted wood Santas, nativities, matrushkas, etc. as well as a huge selection of eggs-both wooden and "real."  Take an egg carton with you for your delicate egg purchases-not all are in boxes.  Some vendors bargain, especially if you purchase several items- a few don't.  I found prices a little cheaper than anywhere else I've shopped for similar items (Kazakhstan, various European locations, US).  Quality varies so you might want to quickly check out all the stands before you purchase. Most would take British pounds sterling, Euros, and even American $, as well as local currency.  Other sovenirs were plentiful also.  If you have time, you might enjoy the beautiful Virgin Mary pysanky egg mosaic upstairs in the St. Sophia cathedral.  We so enjoyed our time in Kiev!

Author: hootie

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

August 25, 2011

mrose...

Thank you for all the info on "egg" shopping in Kiev @ St. Andrews descent & the tip on taking an egg carton.  I love street vendors, so this sounds like my kind of place!  I'm really excited now about Kiev being pre-trip.  I'm planning on taking bubble wrap & SEVERAL EGG CARTONS!!!

I'll also visit St. Sophia cathedral to see the Virgin Mary pysanky as you have suggested.

Thank you again.

hootie

Countries Visited:

August 25, 2011

That was the place I couldn't remember!  I also got an egg there, and I did bargain although I'm not very good at it.  I had brought some bubble wrap, and I put it in there as soon as I got back to my room and didn't look at it until I got home.  It's still fine. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.