Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: canyonart

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2007

April 08, 2011

We are soon leaving for Egypt on April 23 and I am so glad I stuck with the trip.   I have a couple questions for previous visitors.

1) Laundry.  Somewhere I read that laundry services on board ship were very reasonable. Is that true?  Do they do underware too?

2) What is the best way to take money?   Has anyone had trouble with atms in Cairo?  When we went to China we discovered our atm card would not work even though it was supposed to.  I don't want that to happen again.

3) Any other travel tips would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sally

Author: hawkeye62

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2006

April 08, 2011

I've not used laundry services on the ship, so I can't comment.

I have always just taken cash. The exchange rate is set by the government and there is a bank right in the Marriott so you can convert cash as soon as you arrive. A banker will come on board the ship to exchange cash later in the trip as well if you need more.

Try to make certain your cash is in good condition. Old worn bills, bills with tears,  or with writng or stains on them may not be accepted for exchange.

You can use American dollars, they are accepted most everywhere, but you'll save a little using Egyptian pounds to buy things. For larger expenditures, most stores and restaurants also accept credit cards.

Extra 1$ bills are good to have with you for the people who clean the rooms daily, and to purchase small items. You'll hear vendors shouting "one dolla" often. Tipping (baksheesh) is an expectation for any small service. Bathroom attendants, taking someones picture, etc.,  two pounds or so is usually sufficient.

Speaking of bathrooms, it's a good idea to bring tissues to can carry with you. Some toilet facilites may not have sufficient (or any) toilet paper or towels. As with most any foreign country, drink only bottled water.

My best advice is to enjoy Egypt and its people. Most everyone you meet will speak some English. The people are always very friendly and  gracious.  Enjoy your trip...

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

April 09, 2011

I didn't have a problem with ATMs in Egypt. I think I got enough cash once for the rest of the trip and then exchanged the larger bills at the hotel. You will need one or two Egyptian pounds for the restroom attendants. If you use dollars it will really add up fast.

I don't know about the laundry on the boat, I don't remember anyone in our group talking about it, but I doubt that they do underwear, most facilities do not. I guess I did enough in the hotels to last the four days on the boat.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy the Nile cruise as much as I did.

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

April 09, 2011

Other tips: Sunscreen sun glasses and hat are essential. I think there is good advice in the handbook and it may have information about laundry costs, etc.

I wore loose, long-sleeved cotton or linen shirts for sun protection and if I remember correctly, most others did too. I like to have a water bottle carrier too, so I can sling it over my shoulder and keep my hands free -- you'll need to drink lots of water. You could bring some powdered Gatorade or other brand to add to the water for variety. 

Happy travels.

Author: firstchoice

GCT Trips Taken: 15
OAT Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 1998

January 13, 2013

I could talk for days about our trip to Egypt, but not enough space here.  I would suggest exchanging no money.  We spent 3 weeks in Egypt, carried US dollars (lots of small bills) and never used our ATM cards.  This was my 3rd trip to Egypt and last.  We found the country very nice, Alexandria the highlight, and Cairo and the pyramids and the museum there to be the biggest dissappointments.   Cairo was so full of smog we couldn't go outside.   The Marriott and their security also was a very negative point.  I have never seen such high prices for food in all my life.  A large bottle of water, two dinners, and a bottle of wine hit $150.00 so fast our heads are still spinning.  We had 4 days with GCT and had no problem and never overcharged.  But once we hit the Marriott the stay went downhill.   Once we were on the boat, we were fine, but Cairo was very sad.  Would recommend you spend more time elsewhere in the country.  Someone was commenting and asking questions about laundry.  My goodness, what silly talk.   Do your own underwear, have the ship do it, bring enough for whole trip, who cares.   Isn't the conversation supposed to be about travel?  Don't air your dirty laundry in these paragraphs---laundry is done all over the world, sometimes you pay more sometimes less,  put this subject out to dry.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

January 13, 2013

The posts you're responding to are two years old, and the trip is no longer offered.

Author: grammyflo

GCT Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2002

January 13, 2013

ROTFLOL  Pauline, thanks for the update.  ROTFLOL.

Countries Visited:

January 13, 2013

Pauline rocks!

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.