Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: dondaro

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 1999

August 05, 2011

The Continental Flight out of Newark flies east over the Artic Circle over Russia and Mongolia into Shanghai. You are not going in the opposite direction if you're catching that flight from Tampa. The flight was not bad. 190 movies to chose from on each seat. Better than taking 3 or 4 flights worring about connections and  your luggage.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

August 05, 2011

Dondaro,

In an earlier response you wrote that you made your own reservations to Ireland. I'm going next month and because of the flights that GCT was using (only Delta from JFK on a 757  with about six seats available -- window and center), I decided to do it myself. The last rep I spoke to said they were not using Aer Lingus, but I wondered later because I know you don't always get accurate information, so sometimes it's a good idea to call back and confirm. Even so, I feel better doing it myself I know there won't be any itinerary changes without a very good reason.

I 'll be arriving in Shannon a day early so wonder how you made your way to Galway? I believe there are hourly buses to Galway, is that what you did? If so, can you give me any into on that -- like how long, where is the station in Galway?

I'm glad to read how well your arrangements to China went, I doubt that I would have considered making my own flight arrangements for that trip, but now I will.

Thanks.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

August 05, 2011

Luisa,

There's a bus line, City Link, that goes between Shannon and Galway.  It takes about an hour and a half.  When I went out of the terminal in Shannon to our small transfer bus, I noticed some of those busses waiting.

It makes more sense to go directly Galway if you can get into the hotel.  There's nothing to see in Shannon.

Author: dondaro

GCT Trips Taken: 7

August 05, 2011

Correct there is a bus to Galway. Google "Buses from Shannon to Galway" and you can find al lkinds of information on various websites including prices and schedules. We took the bus and had no problems. The bus drivers are very helpful.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

August 07, 2011

Thanks Dondaro and Pauline. I had checked for buses but there was no schedule for City Link so e-mailed and their response was they are no longer operating from Shannon, so it will be Bus Eireann, which is fine but unless my flight arrives a bit early (ha!) I'll  miss the 10:00 am bus and will have to wait an hour for the next one so was hoping for City Link. Oh, well it will work out.

Pauline, I couldn't work out a decent schedule from Florida to Boston for Aer Lingus so have to fly Delta from JFK (not happy about that), but the good part is I got a non-stop from Dublin to Atlanta and a flight to Florida at a decent time.  Afraid of being jammed in a tight economy seat, I reluctantly paid for "Economy Comfort" to get a couple more inches.

Sorry to be posting on the China site but didn't want to start a new thread.

Author: proffrancaise

GCT Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2010

November 16, 2011

Hello. 

I'll be booking the trip to China for July 2012 and am now booked on Delta JFK-Tokyo-Beijing.  Please let me know the price of the flight from Newark to Beijing on Continental. 

Thank you.

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

November 17, 2011

Based on a July 12 departure. Newark to Beijing is $2,080 on Continental, nonstop. Newark to Beijing via Vancouver on Air Canada is $1,688. Grand Circle is $1,050.  These fares are based on itasoftware.com.

Unless You have a specific reason or traveling in July, we would recommend going earlier or later in the year. China is extremely hot in the summer. We went in late April, 2007, and it was quite hot then.

Jack Donoghue

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.