Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: ajedwards

Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2011

April 07, 2011

What airline is being used for flights to China?

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

April 07, 2011

We went to China in February, and we flew over and back on Delta. We had two internal flights that were on China Eastern or something like that.

Author: ajedwards

April 07, 2011

Thanks for the reply.

Author: murphcor

April 07, 2011

We're going to China in August by way of Air Canada.  We live in LA and there are oodles of direct flights from LAX to Beijing, but we're being routed through Vancouver.  GCT must be getting a better deal by going this route, but I have to say, I think it's a little weird!

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

April 07, 2011

Your reservations can change between now and the time you go.  I'm going to Ireland in June, and my first air travel itinerary had me flying from Boston to Dublin to Heathrow to Shannon.  It's changed several times since.

Author: jl.anderson

Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

OAT/GCT: China, Peru, Ecuador, Ukraine, Russia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda; 35+ more countries

April 12, 2011

In June 2007 OAT flew me from Seattle to San Francisco to Beijing on United Airlines.

Author: dbrmgr

Trips Taken: 4

June 01, 2011

We are going in November on Air Canada.

Author: rkauzlarich

Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2009

June 10, 2011

In 2009, we flew nonstop from Chicago to Beijing on United as arranged by GCT.  There were many people in our group that were first flown to Chicago from Florida, Michigan, and other states.  We flew over the North Pole at very high elevations on the way over and over the Pacific Ocean on the way back from Hong Kong.

Author: sealionlady

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2001

June 11, 2011

Murphcor, I recently was booked by OAT on a trip to Paris that sent me from LAX to Atlanta to Paris.  I called OAT and for an additional $25.00 was able to get LAX to Paris non-stop (the $25.00 fee covered both LAX/Paris and Paris/LAX).  Before I called I used Expedia to study alternatives and have suggestions. 

It might be worth a try.

Author: murphcor

June 12, 2011

Thank you very much Sealionlady!  I am going to try that and I will let you know what happens.  I appreciate the advice!

Author: orange96

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2002

June 18, 2011

Air Canada from NYC to Toronto to Hong Kong in July 2011.

Author: uofmich77

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2005

June 25, 2011

In August 2008 we flew non-stop on United to Beijing from Washington Dulles. Then on return flew Hong Kong to Tokyo on Japan Airlines and Tokyo to Washington Dulles on United.

Author: dondaro

July 06, 2011

I just returned from China Culturat Capitals. It was a great trip. GCT is notorius for terrible airline routing. No one on our trip had a non-stop flight even from NYC or LA. We dicided to book our own non-stop flights from Newark and it was well worth the extra cost. We made it home to NJ in 14 hours. Not having to worry about connections or lost luggage. When we arrived in Shanghai we were able to find our way to the hotel. All the signs are in English and there's plenty of transportation into Shanghai. Everyone on our trip was traveling at least 20 hours. What we did was to arrive in Shanghai a day earlier and stay over night at the Ramada Inn at the airport. The hotel has a shuttle service to and from the terminals. We were able to get some rest before the tour started was able to cope with jet lag.

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

July 08, 2011

Last month, I flew from Boston to Shannon on Aer Lingus.  GCT had changed my air itinerary so many times I lost track.  But the last one had me flying on Delta from Boston to JFK to Shannon and return on Delta from Dublin to JFK to Boston.  I checked and discovered that nobody flies direct from Boston to Ireland on Wednesdays, and that was the first day of the tour.  I did some research and discovered that Aer Lingus would fly to Shannon direct on Tuesday and a nonstop from Dublin to Boston on the day of the return.  So I asked GCT to change my flights to Aer Lingus, went to Shannon a day early, and made my own overnight reservation at a hotel next to the airport.

Part of my reasoning was my dislike of changing at JFK.  And part was my distrust of Delta.  It seems that almost every time you read about something going wrong with a flight, the airline is Delta.

And for those going to Eastern Europe with a pre-trip extension in Berlin, why Delta?  Why not Lufthansa?

July 08, 2011

I had a trip ireland with OAT a few years ago. We live in NJ near Newark Airport. OAT had use flying from Newark to London then back to Shannon Airport. with a 4 hour layover. A six hour flight was now a 12 hour torture. I ended up booking my own flight which was between 6 and 7 hours to Shannon and returned from Dublin direct to Newark. We found our way to the town where the tour began and arrived at the hotel a good six to eight hours before anyone else. We were able to get some rest. When dealing with GCT or OAT it's sometimes better to book your own flight especially if your spending a few days at the first stop of your tour or if you want to arrive a day ahead of time. It may be worth the extra cost for the convienance .

Don

Countries Visited:

July 08, 2011

The problem with booking my own flights is that if something goes wrong I have to solve the problem myself.  If GCT makes the reservations and the flight is canceled or I miss it for some reason, they will rebook for me.  Since I'm traveling solo, that's important to me. 

When I went to Russia last summer, I was offered three different flight plans.  The standard one was changing at Heathrow, which is not as much of a problem now that Terminal 5 is open.  I was also offered one changing in Frankfurt for a slightly higher charge and another one changing in Amsterdam for an even higher charge.  Amsterdam would be my preference, all things being equal, because it's a user friendly airport with nice helpful staff.  However, I opted for Heathrow.

GCT now has a plan whereby they will customize the flight arrangements for a fee.  I'll be curious to see how that works.  I have already booked my trip for next summer to England, Scotland and Wales; and someone will be calling me next month to discuss flight arrangements.  Very early in the game, I know, since they don't make up all the schedules this far in advance.  But I don't see why I should have to change within the US when I'm flying to Europe and I live on the East Coast.

Author: cobramd

July 09, 2011

We are our first GCT trip to China on 9/7/11 and our preliminary routing is Tampa-Atlanta-Seattle-Beijing on Delta. Return is Hong Kong-Tokyo-Detroit-Tampa on Delta. Since we are departing from Tampa we have to expect at least one connection in the US. We were able to select seat asignments on Delta's website the day after we booked the trip (paid in full at booking since it was a few days from the final payment date). We also verified with Delta that we will receive FF miles even though the fares are obviously deeply discounted. So we are happy with what we have even though it will be about 24 hours each way. We hope that GCT does not change it between now and departure.

Author: sbevis

Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2001

July 14, 2011

We are flying out of SFO to Beijing, China on Air Canada and return from Hong Kong on same airlines which involves a 5 hour layover each way in Canada instead of direct non-stop flights.

Author: cobramd

August 05, 2011

We have received a revised itinerary of Tampa-Atlanta-Seattle-Beijing and return of Hong Kong- Tokyo-Atlanta-Tampa. This is for trip departing 9/7/11.

August 05, 2011

Try booking your own flight. We did it in June. We did non-stop from Newark to Shanghai  and returned non-stop from Beijing to Newark. You can take a the train from the Airport  to downtown Shangai and get a cab from the train station to the hotel. Another atlernative is to take the #! bus to Honggiao airport which is closer to downtown Shanghai and take a taxi to your hotel from there. We went a day ahead and stayed at the Ramada in at the airport. There is a shuttle service back and forth to the terminal. You can ask your PD about getting to the airport when you return from Shanghai. All signs at the airport are in English. Believe me it's worth it even if you have to pay more for your flights. It took us 14 hours to Newark while it to others going to LA at least 20 hours. Good luck.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.