Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: lroraff

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

April 04, 2011

We are going to Peru and wonder if we need to bring somthing for the family for the hosted lunch and dinners? 

Linda Roraff

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

April 04, 2011

Not everyone brings gifts, but it's a nice thing to do.  If there's some small piece of craft that's made locally where you live, that's always a good choice.  Or a calendar with scenes from your home state/city.  Ditto a scarf.  Or a small illustrated history/guidebook.

Author: grammyflo

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2002

April 05, 2011

My New England upbringing has taught me that when someone goes out of their way to make you a nice meal, you should bring a token of your appreciation.

I usually bring an embroidered tea towel with my home state imprinted somewhere on it and give it to the Hostess.  This has worked for me several times.

Whether or not GCT/OAT pays the Hosts, they still go to a lot of trouble to make our visit pleasant.  Any and all gifts are received with pleasure. The variety of the gifts and the fun of watching the Hostess open them is a special treat for both parties.  For children's gifts,lollipops always work and they are wrapped in a bright paper too. Kids love to pick their colors.

Other children's gifts are given to the teacher and they are divided equally among the children. We were requested to do this in Fiji where the teacher told us the children share everything and everyone is happy.

Author: shatzi

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2009

April 06, 2011

In February Dave_d posted an idea I thought was great!

I know I'm late in posting to this thread, but "better late than never" as they say.  My wife and I have been to a couple of these home visitations and have always brought a small gift to our host(s).  Our Barnes and Noble bookstore has a section on local history which contains picture books, etc. of the Hudson Valley Region of NY State.  Our habit is to select one or two of these resources as a gift and inscribe our thanks to the host on the inside cover along with our E-mail address.  We started doing this a few years back and are still in contact with the families we met from the "Great Rivers of Europe" and from "Burgundy and the Cote d'Azur" itineraries.

As an aside, I like the idea presented in an earlier post about the local Christmas ornament.  I'll have to mention this idea to my wife.

Happy cruising,

Dave

Thanks Dave!

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

April 06, 2011

I like Dave's idea of the book with his e-mail address.

I just completed my seventh trip with OAT/GCT and it was the first one that the hostess opened the gifts in front of everyone. All the other trips we passed the gifts to the hostess when we arrived and they disappeared into another room.

It is interesting to see, or hear about, what others bring. No one on my trips has ever brought T-shirts. I don't my myself because 1. they add weight to my luggage and I try to go light, and 2. I've wondered who would likely wear the shirt? I don't think it would be the hostess who has probably done the cooking. Ditto for baseball type caps. Kids might like them but you don't know ahead of time if there are kids.

In Morocco our hostess showed us the refrigerator covered with magnets from different states.

I usually bring a small box or package of candy, thinking that it's something that the family could enjoy. In Turkey I bought fresh figs at a market for the gift. I read one report that someone had brought fresh fruit (I think it was China trip) and the family was delighted. I have also read that someone brought a cooking utensil. In Buenos Aires one woman brought fresh flowers and a man brought a bottle of wine; the hostess seemed happy with both.

On all my trips with visits to schools, the gifts were given to the teachers, never directly to the students.

Author: robsmom

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

April 06, 2011

Would a little cash be ok?

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

April 06, 2011

I don't think cash would present the same feeling.  The families that do this choose to do so for various reasons, meeting Americans or improving their English or just to be friendly.  They are reimbursed, I believe, by GCT for the costs involved in providing the food and drink. 

The only time a group that I was with was expected to give cash was on the Costa del Sol trip eleven years ago.  This family was quite unfriendly and acted as though it was a business arrangement.

Author: anniebelle

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2002

April 06, 2011

We have been on 11 trips with OAT and some people brought gifts and others did not.  Never had the host or hostess opened the gifts while we were there.  OAT and their larger half, GCT, select the home and compensate the families quite well.  You can tell which families really enjoy the exchange of cultures.  We always bring a small token of appreciation. 

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

April 08, 2011

The lunches/dinners are in a home, so I would not give cash, aside from the fact that they are paid by OAT/GCT. If you can't think of a token gift (flowers, candy, fruit, post cards),an unusual or beautiful thank you card would be appropriate.

Pauline, I think the family you visited on the Costa del Sol trip didn't last long as hosts. Dinner on that trip a couple of years ago was one of the best of all my trips. The food and drink just kept coming and the hostess and family were charming, even though none spoke English.We had fun trying to communicate. A couple in our group said they wanted to take the hostess home with them.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.