Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: hootie

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

March 24, 2011

TO GCT...

Since GC is always looking for ways to accomodate travelers and make their trips easier...HOW ABOUT... putting ATM's on your riverboats?  I have seen (and used)  them on other ships.  It was SO CONVENIENT & SAFER than finding one elsewhere.  I know it would be best when only dealing in one currency, Euros for example, than multiple countrys currency, but it too can be done. 

We've exchanged money at the reception desk on your riverboats, but they ususally have a limit of $50 per day.  And that amount also depended on how many others were exchanging funds.  (This is a nice convenience, especially when dealing with more than one country's currency.  So, thank you for this!)

I would like to see GC "up the ante" on the amount that could be exchanged or put in an ATM. 

hootie

Author: realmac

GCT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2011

April 25, 2011

We agree. The difficulty getting the money used in the country you are visiting will effect our travel plans in the future.  The ship SHOULD have the ability to exchange currency for the countries they stop in.  We had planned to shop but the problems getting the country's money kept us from shopping.  Therefore in the future we will know how to get money before booking the trip.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

April 25, 2011

I don't think that's a reasonable request.  You're suggesting that the river ships carry a large amount of currency for people who can't bring themselves to go to an ATM on one of the shore excursions.  And what about traveling and stopping in countries that are not on the Euro?  I don't know, but I assume that for GCT to act as a money changer would mean some kind of license for each country.  I charge purchases to a credit card unless it's for a little thing like a refrigerator magnet.

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

April 25, 2011

While I don't feel strongly either way, my vote on ATM's on riverboats is NO. To really benefit from the favorable exchange rate the ATM you use must be part of a bank system and connected to the computer network. I doubt that GCT would be willing or able to make those arrangements for all of their ships. Admitedly I have taken only two cruises and one of them was totally in "Euro country". The other went into Switzerland. On that one I got Euros in the Netherlands and Francs in Lucerne. Our first stop in Holland was Willamstadt, a very small town. Even it had three (that I saw) bank-connected ATMs. In Lucerne there were five ATMs within a block of the hotel. I could have gotten Francs in Basil but didn't feel the need to. This is a long-winded way of saying that the exchange of currency at the reception desk of the ship should be considered an "emergency" situation. I also agree that use of the charge card for significant purchases is still the better way to go.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.