Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: kba

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2009

March 16, 2011

I am looking for fellow travelers on the St. Petersburg to Moscow cruise on September 8.  I am also doing the pre-trip to Finland and Estonia. 

Author: hootie

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

March 21, 2011

I posted a reply to Sept. 8, Russia trip on Sept. 14.  For some reason, it is not showing up on the regular discussion post.  If I go into "my post", it's there.  What's up with that?  I tried to re-post but it didn't take.  I also tried editing my post & then re-posting, but again, no luck.  I guess I would have to re-type & try posting again.  Sorry.  I just didn't want you to think that no one was responding to your post.  In any case, we are on the Russian Revealed trip on a later date with a pre-stay in Kiev.  

I hope you have a wonderful trip & will post your experiences as you travel or when you return.  I have lots of questions!

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

March 22, 2011

I am going with 3 other friends on the Russia Revealed trip on October 1, with a pre-trip to Helsinki and Tallinn. I would love any input from the above 2 posted travelers when you return also!! Always questions before a trip, of course!! Sometimes someone at GC can answer them and sometimes not! Lots of reliable answers though from other travelers!

Author: evelyntrav

Traveler Since: 2004

March 28, 2011

Interesting...   I am going on the Sept 8, 2011 Russia Revealed trip and not doing the extensions.  I am traveling alone, unless my friend changes her mind and joins me.  Where do you live?  I am in Boston.

Evelyn

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

March 28, 2011

I was on the Russia Revealed trip last August with the pre-trip in Kiev.  I traveled solo, and there seemed to be a lot of other solo travelers on that trip.  It was really wonderful, the accomodations, the food, the tours.  Take advantage of everything.  Don't miss the Moscow by Night tour.

March 29, 2011

I live in Illinois (near the Wisconsin border) and I fly out of Chicago-O'Hare.  It looks like there is a Moscow to St. Petersburg as well as a St. Petersburg to Moscow trip on September 8.  I am on the St Petersburg to Moscow trip.  My last year GrandCircle trip was modified with dates changed.  I wonder if they will consolidate the above two trips.   I too am traveling "single."  From previous posts it sounds like this will be a wonderful trip.  I do hope we are on the same trip.  Kim

Author: evelyntrav

Traveler Since: 2004

March 29, 2011

Kim, I didn't realize there were two trips leaving on 9/8.  I am traveling from Moscow to St P so we are not on the same trip, unless they combine them.   I'll look for a "Kim". 

It's nice to hear from someone that there were several solo travelers on a previous trip as it is one of the main reasons I chose to go with GCT.  Friends went on this same trip last year and thought it was great. 

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

March 29, 2011

I traveled solo on the Moscow to St. Petersburg trip last August.  At some point, either Lake Ladoga or Lake Oneda, they announced that we would be passing our sister ship soon.  We crowded out the doors and were handed balloons to wave as we passed, as they did also.  Then we continued to St. Petersburg, and they went on their way to Moscow.

It's a wonderful trip.  I was especially thrilled to see the Amber Room in Catherine's Palace completely restored.

Be prepared for terrible traffic in both the large cities.  Rush hour seems to go on all day and half the night.  And there don't seem to be any traffic police.  Evelyn, you said you're from Boston.  They drive worse than we do.  But it's part of the experience.

April 03, 2011

Thank you Pauline.  I am so glad to hear that it is a  wonderful trip.  I too am excited about the amber room.  Are the ports in St. Petersburg and Moscow near the center of the city or are there long bus/sibway trips?  I am traveling alone and there are a couple of sites I would like to see that are not part of the tour (Church on the Spilled Blood, more time at the Hermitage, more time at St. Basils).  Would you feel safe traveling around on your own?

Thank you,

Kim

Countries Visited:

April 03, 2011

Kim, where the ships are tied up is nowhere near the center of either city.  And it's a long bus ride because of the traffic.  When we were at the Hermitage, they arranged for people who wanted to stay longer to sign up for another hour and a bus would be sent back for them.  However, it took so long (hours!) for the rest of us to get back that different bus had to be sent.  My bus was the second to arrive back at the ship, and that was about three hours.

I believe there are subway stops close by, and that would be the fastest way.

There was a lot of time after seeing St. Basil's for people to look at the department store across the street, so you could spend that time in the church.

Because of different flight schedules on the return, some of us weren't leaving St. Petersburg until the afternoon.  But we had to be off the ship early, so they could get things ready for the next group.  They bussed us into the center of town, parked the bus in an area close to the river and churches, and turned us loose.  The bus stayed there with the driver, so we could board as we wished.  There was a very nice gift shop with really good bathrooms across the street.  The gift shop people don't mind tourists coming in to use the bathrooms, because we stay and browse and buy.  At least, that's what we were told. 

Author: fleetfoot

Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2006

April 03, 2011

Kim,

We took this trip August, 2010.  On the second day at St Petersburg after touring St Isaac's Cathedral, we had an included lunch at a restaurant almost next door to the Church of our Savior on Spilled Blood.  The lunch stop was from about 11:30 to 1:00.  We had plenty of time to take photos all around the church.  Walk along the canel about a block away for the postcard photo (You'll also be shooting with the sun behind you).  There was an admission fee to enter the church.

April 04, 2011

Thank you Pauline and "Fleetfoot."  I am so glad that the Church on the Spilled Blood is easily accessible.  The whole subway thing is daunting.  Oh my, Pauline, the bus rides sound like a challenge.  Again, thank you.

Kim

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.