Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: rosedith

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

February 23, 2011

I know it's too early to find out much but I have been following the news and would like to know if there is any word from GCT on how this will affect our trip in May.  Anyone else visiting the forums for info? 

Author: rdrtchr

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2009

February 23, 2011

My heart goes out to the people of Christchurch and the travelers who were there during this devastating earthquake.  I went on the Australia, New Zealand, Fiji trip in 2009.  Christchurch was one of our favorite places.  I hope GCT will post information as it becomes available.  Those planning a trip will of course need information, but those of us who have been there are concerned about the families with whom we stayed, GCT employees and travelers who were there that day, the hotel.  My prayers are with them. 

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

February 23, 2011

I agree with the previous post. Christchurch was also a highlight of my trip. It's hearbreaking to see the damage and to read about the loss of life. I spent quite a bit of time in the cathedral and the surrounding area and am wondering about some of the shops and the arts and crafts center. I too hope that the family I spent my overnight with is safe.

I think GCT and OAT are probably working on arrangements for the groups that are currently in NZ and on the trips that will be leaving soon and will be posting updates. Perhaps they'll adjust the itinerary to avoid that area of NZ. 

It's strange that so much is happening now with natural disasters and political upheavals that affects travel.

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

February 23, 2011

There is a New Zealand update posted. It's the tab at the top of the Home page, next to Egypt Update. The trips are still on and there is number posted for anyone who wants to call with questions.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

February 24, 2011

I've been to New Zealand four times with a friend traveling on our own.  We kept going back every other year, because we loved it so much.  Especially Christchurch, which we thought was one of the most beautiful cities in the world.  I'm just so devastated at the loss of life.  It's so hard to accept all these natural disasters that are occuring everywhere the past few years.

Author: rosedith

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

March 06, 2011

So, the front page message about New Zealand now says that they are not going to Christchurch through March.  Anyone have a report on what they are doing instead?  Sure would be nice to have a little more information from GCT.  I know it's difficult but they need to let us know what's going on.

Author: fleetfoot

Trips Taken: 9

March 07, 2011

I called GCT and received the new itinerary for March which is listed below:

Day 10 Sydney to Auckland

- Transfer to Sydney Airport at noon.

Day 11 Auckland overland to Rotorua

- Depart Auckland 9am arrive Rotorua about noon

- Rotorua City Tour

Day 12 Rotorua

- Morning at leisure

- Afternoon - Te Puia Cultural Experience

Day 13 Auckland to Queenstown

- Transfer from Rotorua to Auckland

- Fly Auckland to Queenstown  

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

March 07, 2011

It would be nice if they can include a stop at Waitamo so you can see the Glow Worm Caves on the way to Rotarua. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.