Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: ruthann39

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2001

February 03, 2011

Grand Circle does not really want single travelers in spite of their advertising.  I tried to book a tour, was told there was space available, then was told there was no space for a single.  This is discrimination of the worst sort.  I will not be travelling with Grand Circle again and will warn all my friends that Grand Circle discriminates against singles.  I still can't believe there is space on the tour but you won't take a single.  Horrible!

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 1999

February 03, 2011

Do you know of any travel companies that does not have a limit on the number of spaces available for singles?   I don't..  GCT has low or no single supplement charges for their trips so I believe they are a good choice for people like me who want single accomodations.  You just have to book early or get lucky if you wait too long to book.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

February 03, 2011

I agree with Jan.  There have always been people traveling solo on any of the tours I have taken.  And I traveled solo to Russia last August.  I am traveling solo again in June, to Ireland this time.  I was not able to get the first date I asked for because they didn't have any more slots for solo travelers.  It's understandable that they, as all tour companies do, limit the number of solo travelers. 

Traveling solo with GCT is much better than with any other companies I have investigated.  They don't charge the single supplement on most of the land tours and a much reduced supplement on the river trips.  They still have to provide the buses, program directors, local tours, accomodations, etc.

I find it hard to believe that when they couldn't give you that reservation they didn't offer you another date.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

February 04, 2011

There is no discrimation against singles.  Of course the number of rooms for singles is limited, otherwise half the group would be single travelers in double rooms and the company would not be able to afford to offer free single supplements. 

I've traveled as a single on five trips with OAT and GCT and know enough to book early. I have reservations on two more trips and am thrilled that I don't have to pay a whopping single supplement that I've seen listed with other travel companies. I get brochures from several travel companies and toss them into the recycle bin when I see the single supplement charges.

The policy is exactly as advertised. The literature and web site state very clearly that the single rooms are limited. You have a choice of booking early or opting for roommate matching.

Author: drtesedd

GCT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2010

February 06, 2011

I had no problem booking a trip as a single. If you wait too long to book there may not be a single spot available. I have never had a problem booking or traveling as a single...with any company.  All travel companies limit the number of single slots they have.

Author: sashie

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

All seven continents.

Traveler Since: 2007

February 17, 2011

I totally agree with all the previous respondants. One must book early and be open to available dates. There are very few tour companies that do not charge single supplements. I stopped traveling with Rick Steves because the single supplements are always there and costly plus you are given the worst rooms by the hotels. GCT amd OAT are the best for single travelers but one must be flexible.

Author: jayge

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 2004

March 24, 2011

I am unable to comment on getting a single reservation but have been on trips with single people twice out of our 6 trips.

Author: marcia8146

Countries Visited:

Spain, England, Germany, Greece, Russia, China, Prague. Budapest, Amsterdam, Italy

Traveler Since: 1988

April 06, 2011

I made a reservation  for Costa Del Sol about 9 mos in advance and had no problem getting a single reservation. Probably it would be more difficult closer to the time of the trip

Author: almaruth60

Traveler Since: 2011

April 30, 2011

Just came back 04/28/11 from the Holland & Belgium in SpringTime cruise. This was my first river cruise. I traveled solo since my husband was working. The low single rate was so much lower than other ships. As far as not wanting solo's, that's not so. On my ship there were 4 people plus myself,  who were alone in there room. Their rooms were with or without balconies, depending what you booked. I loved it. The crew and Captain were the best. A better crew could not be found.  When we were on walking tours during the day, the Captain and crew would welcome us in with wet towels and drinks to cool us down. The people on the ship had been using GCT many times, some over 10+yrs. I felt very comfortable traveling alone and I fit in with many couples and single people that had matched roommates.  I will always go with GCT for more river cruises, solo or not.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.