Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: aspengal

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

A partial list: Best of Kenya+Tanzania Safari(OAT), Peru(OAT), Canada(GCT), Thailand+Cambodia+Laos(OAT), Morocco(OAT), Egypt+Jordan(GCT), Australia(OAT), China(GCT), Ireland(GCT), Turkey, Tuscany+Amalfi Coast(GCT), Prague, Greece(sailing), the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Mexico (20+ visits), Martinique, Turks & Caicos, Bahamas, Jamaica (5 visits), Grenada + the Grenadines (w/Windjammer cruise), plus travel within the U.S.

Traveler Since: 1999

February 04, 2011

I participated in the GCT Egypt tour (w/Jordan pre-trip) 4 years ago - my lifelong dream destination.  I was a little worried I'd be disappointed, since I had anticipated visiting Egypt for many years - however, my expectations were far exceeded to the nth degree!  I'm so sad to see what's happening right now...the Egyptian people were so warm & welcoming while I was there, and their ancient culture & history can't be matched throughout the world.  I'm praying every day that this conflict can be brought to a peaceful end.

One of the important reasons I choose to travel with GCT/OAT is the fact they have 'local' offices in all the countries they have tours, & use 'local' guides.  Who better to know & understand their own country, it's history, it's government, it's people?  Because of that, GCT/OAT is always very aware of what's 'really' occurring (not through the news media!), & takes all precautions to ensure their travelers are safe.  I almost always travel as a 'single' woman, and have no qualms about putting my trust & personal safety in their capable hands.  (p.s. No...I do NOT work for GCT/OAT!  I work in the I.T. dept. of our local hospital, & am an passionate traveler dedicated to learning more about the wonderful variety of peoples & cultures on our wonderful planet Earth)

Please don't let what's happening now discourage you from visiting this interesting country in the future - you'll be amazed, stunned, astounded, & left speechless by the ancient archeological sites and the pharonic history of this ancient civilization.  My visit to Egypt (and Jordan, to see Petra) is still my all-time favorite of all the countries I've visited during my lifetime.

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

February 04, 2011

@aspengal-- My friend and I who were supposed to leave on Feb. 5 for this trip are so disappointed. (yes, we understand, of course, why it was cancelled....). We were so looking forward to it. We had read and read, and I had rented Netflix National Geographic programs on Egypt, pyramids, mummies, etc and watched and waited and anticipated. We will plan to go again when all of this settles down and GC starts (hopefully) their trips back there again. Thanks for your posting. It made me want all the more to plan again!! (BTW, we are taking some of our refund and booked a Last Minute Deal to China with GC!). I feel the same way about traveling. There are a lot of places, cultures, people to meet, foods to eat, etc. in this big old world, and I want to experience as much as possible while I still can!!!

Author: martycooper

Trips Taken: 0

February 11, 2011

FYI................. I just found this on Bestfares.com

Disney vacations will cancel Egypt vacation thru August 3, 2011

Author: dickfee

Trips Taken: 15
Traveler Since: 2003

February 12, 2011

We too are scheduled to depart for a 20 day trip to Egypt beginning 3/15.  Conditions are far too unsettled to consider this a safe journey and we are relying on GCT to make the proper decision to cancel.  If and when they do, we will determine the alternate journey.

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

February 12, 2011

Dickfee,

Good idea to consider alternative trips. Two of my favorites are Crossroads of Turkey and Discover South America. My favorite OAT trip is Morocco.

Author: suzstanley

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

February 28, 2011

I am going on the trip with my 88 year old mother on 3rd April.  She is a seaoned GCT and all is going ahead.  Read today's posting about Egypt.  I live in England  and the Foreign Office lifted restrictions on Feb 22nd from the UK.  I am sure that the US will follow shortly.  This is a trip of a lifetime for my mom and GCT would not go ahead if it is risky.  The Egyptians want the tourists back and will ensure that all goes smoothly.  I look forward to meeting my fellow travellers at The Marriott in a few weeks.  My mom, Anne Gerhold is travelling on the JFK flight on the 2nd of April.

Suzanne

Author: grammyflo

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2002

March 02, 2011

Suzanne

I, for one, after being evacuated from Egypt on February 1, 2011, will be vastly interested in your trip report.

Author: suzstanley

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

March 04, 2011

FYI, a colleague of mine from England spent last week in Egypt and had a fantastic time.  She and her family were treated like royalty during their one week visit.  Suzanne

Author: grammyflo

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2002

May 03, 2011

Am waiting to hear from Suzanne on how she and her 88 year old mother enjoyed the Egypt and Nile Cruise.   Hope all went well for Mum

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.