Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: pennstatebob

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 1989

February 02, 2011

My wife and I are booked for the Egypt tour, leaving February 26. Watching BBC and CCN shows that conditions there are getting worst with each passing day. With the current governmant refusing to step down things will continue to get worst. Would appriciate word from GCT about our options as we do not want to put our self at risk.

Bob in Virginia

Author: chang2225

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2011

February 03, 2011
My trip to Egypt depart on 02/19 has been cancelled. It was decided yesterday but I haven’t received any phone call from GCT yet.

Author: allicat

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2006

February 03, 2011

I understand they can canceled all trips thru February and in the process of contacting everyone affected.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

February 03, 2011

Hello -

Due to recent events, we have decided to cancel all departures to Egypt through 2/28. We are in the process of notifying all affected travelers with this information, including options for rescheduling their trips.  If you are not scheduled to travel within the next 7 days, we kindly ask that you wait to be contacted by one of our Travel Counselors.  We plan to be in contact with everyone by February 11th.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT Forum Moderator

Author: halcatalyst

Trips Taken: 2

February 08, 2011

I called my travel insurance provider and was pleased to discover that instead of merely forfeiting my premium they will apply it to the next trip I take. It must be used within the next 18 months and the premium will be adjusted up or down based on the new coverage. The company is CSA Travel Protection.

Hal Dendurent

Author: coprstar

February 08, 2011

My wife is very concerned about the recent events in Egypt and doesn't want to go on our trip scheduled for 3/26/11.  She feels unsafe and would not enjoy the trip.  We hope GCT can switch us to something else!!

Author: harphil7

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2000

February 08, 2011

My husband and I are scheduled to leave on March 26th also, but that is the pretrip to Jerusalem,  arriving in Cairo April 3rd.  We are also concerned and would like to switch to another trip.  Hope Grand Circle lets us know soon.  Listening to Anderson Cooper last night on CNN, it is quite scary.

Author: softshoe390

February 08, 2011

My wife and I are traveling to Cairo March 12th for the Nile river cruise. We still want to go but maybe later in the year when things settle down over there would be best. We have paid in full. What are our options to postpone to a later date. Say early fall? 

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

February 08, 2011

Call Grand Circle and ask about changing the date. I wouldn't wait to do it. I was booked on a trip to Peru through OAT for this past Sept., but when my son and his wife told me last April that they were expecting a baby in Sept., I called and changed to an available slot on the same trip in July (2010). Wasn't a problem. Once you get inside of a certain number of days before the trip, this might be different because of the confirmation of air, etc......but just call and ask!!!!

Author: mickey2011

February 22, 2011

While I am guardedly optimistic (perhaps, unrealistically so) regarding GTC's intention to resume travel to Egypt on 14 Mar 2011, I am still concerned about how safe it will be to travel in Egypt until a stable government is in place. 

I note that GTC "met with the Counsel General at the U.S. Embassy in Egypt and advised him of [GTC's] return," however, as of 22 Feb 2011, the U.S. Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens to "defer non-essential travel to Egypt."

As of 18 Feb, "The U.S. Embassy [in Cairo] is open for emergency services to U.S. citizens only until further notice."  Is GTC expecting the DoS to change the Travel Warning before 14 Mar?  If the warning to "defer non-essential travel" is still in place, will GTC cancel tours to Egypt until the warning is removed or downgraded to a Travel Alert?

Author: martycooper

February 22, 2011

That's my question as well. We are suppose to leave 4/2.

Author: sandys

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

Most countries in Western Europe - Many countries in Eastern Europe. New Zealand, Australia, Cook Islands, Easter Island. Chile, Peru, Costa Rica, Guatemala, El Salvador, Belize, Honduras, Mexico (including Copper Canyon), South Africa. Almost all states in the USA, including Hawaii and Alaska. Canada, Bahamas, Many of the Caribbean Islands. China, Thailand.

Traveler Since: 2005

February 22, 2011

There is an announcement on Facebook from GCT that they plan to resume travel to Egypt starting with March14th departures::

Author: mickey2011

February 23, 2011

Thank you for including the text of GCT's announcement concerning resumption of travel to Egypt - there is a link to the same announcement on GCT's home page.

A message from Mr. Lewis, Chairman of Grand Circle Travel, saying "We have also met with the Counsel General at the U.S. Embassy in Egypt and advised him of our return," does not tell me what the response was from the Counsel General.  Just because GCT has advised the U.S. Embassy of their intention to resume travel to Egypt, one should not infer that the Embassy has in any way sanctioned this decision.

My wife and I are scheduled to begin our Ancient Egypt and Nile River Cruise vacation on 09 Apr 2011 and we would like to know what GCT plans to do if the Department of State's Travel Warning (i.e., to defer non-essential travel to Egypt) is still in effect at that time.  Bottom line, does GCT intend to ignore the Department of State's Travel Warning if it is still in effect on 14 Mar or anytime thereafter?

I am posting in this public forum instead of contacting GCT directly because I believe that others would also like to see GCT's response.

Author: kathyhoughton

Trips Taken: 1

February 25, 2011

My friend and I are scheduled to take the Ancient Egypt and Nile River Cruise on June 7, 2011, but we are wondering how long we should wait to hear from GCT about cancellation of that trip.  Will we have enough time to book another trip during that same time in June? If we do go to Egypt, what will new itinerary look like?  How often does U.S. govt update its  travel warning?

Kathy H

February 27, 2011

We switched our trip to the fall. No problem. They were very accomadating. No fee was imposed on the six of us.

Author: hawkeye62

Trips Taken: 7

February 28, 2011

To martycooper,

That's nice to hear, the fall may be better weather. I'm curious, did you have the traveler's insurance? If so I don't think there would be any fees.

April 05, 2011

Yes, all six of us have the travel insurance. The first group that left in mid-March has returned and there have been a few posts. Looks like a good trip and we are looking forward to our Sept. trip.

Author: schnj

April 09, 2011

My parents are on a tour now, I am very concerned with recent protests in Cairo as they must fly out of Cairo next weekend.  I think it was and is very arrogant of Grand Circle to ignore the Department of State's Travel Warning.  

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

April 09, 2011

The Department of State's warning is to avoid demonstrations, which I'm sure the program director will do. It also states that the the American Embassy is open and that the airport is open and all airlines are operating.

There have been posts from travelers who recently returned with reports that they had a good trip with no problems. Others who were concerned made the choice to cancel or rebook at a later date.

I don't understand your comment about Grand Circle being arrogant -- they didn't force your parents to go to Egypt. if they are in Egypt now there must be several people in the group, otherwise the trip would have been canceled. If they didn't want to go they could have changed to another trip or canceled.

Your parents are adults and made their own decision. 

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2005

April 09, 2011

(schnj): My parents are on a tour now, I am very concerned with recent protests in Cairo as they must fly out of Cairo next weekend.  I think it was and is very arrogant of Grand Circle to ignore the Department of State's Travel Warning.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do beielve that GCT's security is very good. I was there last summer (on an OAT trip)and we always had an armed tourist police guard with on the bus. When traveling through Cairo there was a police car following the bus with three or four more armed guards, etc.  There were police/security guards all over the tourist sites visited as well as at check points entering the sites. In addition the holels had metal detectors and security guards at the front door. I really don't think you would have a problem unless of course you decide to wander off by yourself and end up in a "bad area".  

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.