Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: texjo

Trips Taken: 29
Countries Visited:

All 7 continents, and all 50 US states. With OAT to Japan, Vietnam & Cambodia, Australia, Dalmatian Coast & Greece, Egypt, Israel & Jordan, Turkey. With GCT to England (with grandson), Danube to Black Sea river trip, and Scandinavia & St Petersburg. Have also traveled and/or hiked in the French and Swiss Alps, Scotland, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Germany, Peru, Ecuador, Chile, Antarctica, Argentina, Costa Rica, Mexico, China, New Zealand, the Amazon, and Moldova, to name a few, some independently, some with other tour groups.

Traveler Since: 2003

April 21, 2014

We are on the May 12 Great Rivers cruise, departing Vienna.  We are going a day early, and will need to get to the correct dock/ship on our own.  Four relatives are joining us, who have arranged their own air, and will also need to get there on their own.

We have received our Final Document Booklet from GCCL, which lists "Dock Information" as:

Franz Josefs Bahn, Donaustationen Nr.34, Vienna-Nussdorf

We can't find that on Google Maps.  Anybody know the precise dock location?  Failing that, how good are the taxi drivers in Vienna?  Can they find the ship with that information?

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

April 21, 2014

We docked twice in Vienna with GCT. Both times we docked just North of where the Reichsbrucke (Hgihway 8) crossed the Danube, a short walk from the Vorgartenstrasse UBahn station. The Danaustation address should be the actual dock assignment that a taxi driver should be able to locate. Unfortunately, I can't find the referenced addreess information on Google Maps. Click HERE to see where we docked. If you switch to the Earth view, you will see the cruise ships docked.

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

April 21, 2014

THIS discussion pm tripadvisor may be helpful.

Countries Visited:

All 7 continents, and all 50 US states. With OAT to Japan, Vietnam & Cambodia, Australia, Dalmatian Coast & Greece, Egypt, Israel & Jordan, Turkey. With GCT to England (with grandson), Danube to Black Sea river trip, and Scandinavia & St Petersburg. Have also traveled and/or hiked in the French and Swiss Alps, Scotland, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Germany, Peru, Ecuador, Chile, Antarctica, Argentina, Costa Rica, Mexico, China, New Zealand, the Amazon, and Moldova, to name a few, some independently, some with other tour groups.

April 24, 2014

Thanks to both of you.  I called Grand Circle in frustration a couple of days ago.  The dock location is a BASIC fact that everyone who is arriving on their own will want/need to know, yet it took "Kate" at Grand Circle about 30 minutes to run down the correct answer.  She was super nice, and even provided me the GPS coordinates for the dock.  But it is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT  from the info in our Final Documents booklet!  Sure hope she's right.  Or, maybe we'll get a taxi driver who knows.

Again, I'm unimpressed with the information given by GCT's Boston office about their destinations.  No one there seems to know much about those crucial details, on any trip.  (We've called before asking if we need hiking boots, or some such detail, and no one ever has any real information -- just what's in the brochure, which we can read for ourselves.)

One thing GCT/OAT could do is print out a MAP of the dock location, and, on other trips, the location of the various hotels, in the Final Document booklets.  But they never give us maps until we arrive, if then.  Or they could monitor these posts and post the info for everyone.

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

April 24, 2014

If I were you, I would call the ship and verify the location before getting a taxi in Vienna. If  the telephone number is not in the final documents, call the Boston office again or send them an email. 

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

April 25, 2014

In 2005 we were to get on a Uniworld river ship.  We had the dock information in our final documents.  I had re-typed it out on a card.  Our plane was late late, lt late getting into Budapest, and we had no luggage when we got there, after 11:00 pm.  The airport closed at 12:00 midnight.  It was ll:55 when we finished with airlines on our luggage.  We immediately went to the local transportation desk, where we had already checked that we could buy a ticket for the mini-bus.  The ticket agent took our paper and gave it to the van driver.  He was a very old person, and I'll bet he couldn't read.  The ticket agent told him verbally where to take us.  He didn't understand.  We were so frustrated, because we had no luggage which happened to be 10-12 days of the whole cruise and 2 days of the Prague extension  We finally got on the van and there were several hotel stops and we last finally to the port.  We were the last ones on the ship.  No food except a sandwich at the Paris CDG airport 12 hours earlier.  The kitchen was told to keep one worker on duty until we arrived.  We had no idea how to call the ship, our first trip to Europe in 45 years or more.  They had sandwiches and fruit waiting for us when we got there.  But, if the port was changed we probably wouldn't have made it to the ship, and I can tell you, we would have never taken a river cruise after that.  Then we started to book flights a day ahead so as not to be late for the ship and unforeseen circumstances.  

So, the more info you can get on the port, the better.  And don't forget, maybe you'll get the email from the program director before you leave your home, or can get it while you are on the few days before boarding in Vienna, and reply and ask for immediate help in assuring which port you are to go to.  

Author: piercove

Trips Taken: 18

April 26, 2014

A couple years ago we had the same problem, but with the help of some postings on this forum we were able to find the docking location on a map.  The key word is NUSSDORF, which is a suburb of Vienna.  The taxi ride was about 25 euros from the center of the city, where we had spent three days on our own.  But when we arrived at the boat landing--there was no ship.  Our taxi driver had a cellphone, and after some gentle persuasion he agreed to call the ship,  His hesitation was because the ship has a number for Germany, not Austria.  He called a couple times, and there was no answer.  He then took us to another boat dock nearer to downtown, but there was no ship there, either.  I rummaged around in my travel documents and found an e-mail from our PD, with a cellphone number.  The taxi driver called that number (by chance, it was an Austrian number, because this particular PD lives in Vienna).  She answered the phone, and said the ship would not come to Vienna because of low water and we would join the ship in Regensburg.  Meanwhile, all passengers were being accommodated in a hotel near Schoenbrun Palace.  The taxi driver took us there, where we linked up with a GCT staff member.  Taxi fare total was over 50 euros--I gave him 60 with profound thanks.  It turns out that GCT had tried to phone us and e-mail us at home, but we had already left home for Vienna.  The lesson here is, if you are travelling on your own beforehand, be sure to confirm the whereabouts of the ship before you set off in search of it.

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

April 27, 2014

Similar happened to us on another cruise, Rhine & Mosel River.  We were to fly into Brussels, go right from airport to Antwerp.  Our departure flight was real early in the morning, so we usually leave home around noon the day before, stay near the airport.  About 1 hour before we left home the day before our flight, the phone rang and it was GCT, to tell us that we were to be staying for 2 or 3 nights at Brussels Hilton and go from there to the ship due to ship problem on the river.  We had flight widget problems in the cockpit delaying then cancelling the flight.  So were re-scheduled by airline and had to take British Airways from Phoenix (7 hours later) to London,(8 hours layover which turned into 12 hours), before we left London. I did let GCT Air know of our air problems and  they were supposed to tell the Brussels office.  Then I had the ship's number and finally got through to them, didn't speak English, but what he did do is get someone who knew how to speak a little and gave me  the PD's cell number.  (this is all in the day before emails and phone calls before departure from home).  I was able to call the PD, the first thing she asked me was if I knew which Brussels Hilton I was going to.  I assumed there was only one. She said there were 4. The GCT person who called me before I left home gave me an 800 number to call but didn't tell me the location of the hotel in Brussels where everyone was staying.  The PD made it sound like it was my fault for not knowing.  She gave me the correct info.  I was told by GCT Air that the PD would make arrangements for us to get from Brussels airport to Hilton.  I mentioned that to the PD.  Her answer was that no, she wasn't arranging any taxi to meet us, we had to pay.  BUT, when we arrived in Brussels past midnight, there was a taxi driver with our name card outside of Customs.  We were soooo very happy due to over 24 hours since we left our departure airport.  And as we were getting ready for the night/morning and   bags out at 6:00 am and it was 1:30 am, the phone rang and the PD said she was so glad we made it, she was so worried.  If we had left the morning from Phoenix (for our overnight at an airport hotel) instead of in the early afternoon, I would have missed the phone call from GCT, wrong info or not.  From then on, we mostly go ahead of time, stay at the airport hotel, and get a shuttle or cab over to the airport to pick up the GCT bus; we arrive usually at the airport at the usual time our flight would be arriving, so as to be there when the bus would be there.  Worked out fine.  Since we have been in European cities many times over the last 54 years, we usually dont feel we need to go to inner city.  Been there, done that.  The only thing I dread, is if there is a last minute change of port and we dont' have the written information or a call from GCT.  It hasn't happened to us except Brussels, so we count our blessings.

Countries Visited:

April 29, 2014

We have now been contacted by our PD, and he has found a map showing the exact location of the dock in Vienna-Nussdorf. (We had also located that map on our own after a lot of searching.)  That is very helpful.  We will also call the ship from our hotel before we get into the taxi, to confirm it's where GCT says it will be!

Here is a link to the map, for anyone else on our cruise:

http://www.donaustationen.at/partner/donaustationen/donau_e/wien_34.htm

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.