Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: travelingcarol

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2011

April 16, 2014

I am presently on the pre trip of Crossroads of Turkey in Athens.  We are a group of 5 with our wonderful PD Dina.  One of the woman in our group is very very confused and disorientated. The 4 others in our group and our PD have worked extreemly hard to help her out to stay focused and with the group. Our PD contacted the Athens office claiming there was no contact info for this woman in the Boston office.   We are all most concerned for her safety when we move on to Turkey and the many changes in hotels.  Our group would rather that our trip to Turkey be focused on the experience we have paid for and anticipated. We know from being on 4 GCT trips that a PD's job is to guide and care for their group's members.  Ensuring the safety of this group member would distract from the PD's job of guiding the other members of our group of 38 individuals.  What can GCT do to ensure that my husband , I and others will have the expeience that we had planned on in Turkey??

Author: suepoor1234

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

All the states except Hawaii; east and west Canada, all of Western Europe(except Iceland and Greenland); the Baltics and Scandanavia; Belarus, Poland, Ukraine; Russia; Turkey, Jordan and Israel; China, Mongolia, and Tibet; Egypt, Morocco, Tanzania; Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatamala, El Salvador; Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Peru, Argentina; Australia and New Zealand; Antarctica.

Traveler Since: 2007

April 16, 2014

I am not an MD, but I believe this is a serious situation for your fellow traveler. Someone should immediately check her medications and make sure she has taken them appropriately.  Disorientation is an immediate emergency.  Check for hydration.  Get liquids, preferably some sports drink into her (if she is not diabetic).  The PD should have the phone number of the Athens' office and/or the Boston office to get pertinent information.  Check the front of her passport and her cell phone (if she has one) for Next of Kin or In Case of Emergency (ICE) information.  Does she have a medical bracelet?  Again, I reiterate -- this is an emergency situation.  Get her to a hospital if she doesn't respond.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

April 16, 2014

Hello, kevinconley.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. We're in contact with our regional offices in Turkey now to get more information and find a proper resolution.

Have a fantastic trip!

- Andrew, Forum Moderator

April 16, 2014

Andrew,  Thank you so much for your timely response.  I am pleased that you recognize the depth of the situation. CAC

Author: gaynell

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2005

April 17, 2014

Will somebody let us know what happened and how this was resolved?  We hope the traveler is OK and not incapacitated by a stroke or other medical emergency.  How does OAT/GCT deal with something like this situation?

Author: suepoor1234

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

All the states except Hawaii; east and west Canada, all of Western Europe(except Iceland and Greenland); the Baltics and Scandanavia; Belarus, Poland, Ukraine; Russia; Turkey, Jordan and Israel; China, Mongolia, and Tibet; Egypt, Morocco, Tanzania; Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatamala, El Salvador; Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Peru, Argentina; Australia and New Zealand; Antarctica.

April 17, 2014

Gaynell, I would also like an update.  As I was responding to the message, I was phoning the Boston office to alert them if they had not yet seen the message.  The Travel Support Desk went into action immediately and I felt sure the situation would be resolved.

As to your question about how TL's handle such emergencies:  On a recent OAT trip to Costa Rica, a similar situation occurred.  We were in the jungle when a traveler exhibited confusion and disorientation and other symptoms of dehydration. Our TL quickly arranged transport to the nearest clinic for her.  (I am sure he informed Boston of the situation.)  She rejoined us the next evening, rehydrated and with orders to drink sports drinks at least a couple of times a day.  The rest of us took note and at the next town, we loaded up on Gatorade and other sports drinks.  You just cannot drink enough actual water to stay hydrated during some seasons and in some climates.  

April 17, 2014

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your concern.

First, I want to let you know that the traveler in question is safe and does not require medical attention.

I want to also assure you that we are working closely with our Regional Office to assess the situation and make the best decision for all travelers.

You can have complete confidence that we have procedures and protocols in place and can handle situations as such.

All the Best

Annmarie

Forum Moderator

Author: noseycat

Trips Taken: 10

April 17, 2014

During our 10 GCT/OAT trips, we have personally seen at least three instances (South Africa, Bolivia, and one or two other Latin American countries) where the TL's immediately and competently handled travelers' health issues--and then returned to the usual TL functions for the entire group.  We were  impressed with their actions, and feel confident that similar situations in the future would be handled equally as well.

April 21, 2014

Andrew and Annmarie,  This is a follow-up of my original post regarding a difficult situation with one of the tour members on our Crossroads of Turkey trip.  Sadly, one very elderly woman with possible dimentia problems had been reported by me.  She was so severely confused that her continuation on the trip created a safety problem.  Our PD Dina in Athens, Selcuk in Turkey and fellow pre trip travelers were most kind to her.  With the help of the Boston and Istanbul office the woman was sakely returned to the USA.  I would like to talk off line about preventing this situation from happening again upon my return Thank you for your help resolving this issue and the continuation of the wonderful trip my husband and I had planned on.  CAC

April 22, 2014

Hi kevinconly -

We will contact you upon your return.

Annmarie

Forum Moderator

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.