Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: zednanrehs

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2009

April 02, 2014

I'm signed up for The Great Rivers of Europe on the M/S River Rhapsody and I'm planning what I should pack.  Is there a self-serve laundry on board?  If yes, what is the cost and is soap available or do I need to bring my own?  If no self-serve laundry, is laundry service offered?  Is it per item or per bag?  What is the price?  Thanks!

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

April 03, 2014

It's been some years since I traveled on the Rhapsody or any of that size river ship.  But I don't remember an on-board laundry for passenger use.  I washed my underwear each day and hung it in the shower to dry.  There is a cord.  Same for tee-shirts.  I packed some Woolite in a small plastic travel-size bottle and a few Oxy-clean stain remove wipes.  On one ship, I was sitting on the deck one day and watched the crew taking the ship's laundry to what had to be a local laundromat.  It's possible that people could ask to have their sturdier clothes included for a fee. 

Author: dgevry

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2010

April 03, 2014

There is no self-service laundry aboard any of the river boats.  You can have laundry done for a fee.  There is a plastic bag and a price list in the closet.  I believe they pick it up in the morning and it is returned the next day.  We never used it. You are charged by the piece.  We washed underwear, socks and drip-dry shirts in the sink and hung them on the clothes-line. We brought individual envelopes of woolite (10 to the box for about $3.29 in Bed, Bath & Beyond), some plastic clothes-pins & wire hangers. If you roll the clothes in a towel to absorb excess water, they will be dry the next day.  A few people took a bag of clothes to a laundry at one of the ports and had them done. I believe they asked their Program Director for advise - they said it was much less expensive than having the ship do it.

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

April 03, 2014

I should add a tip someone gave me that seemed so obvious I couldn't understand why I didn't think of it myself.  If something is thicker, because the fabric is doubled, and it takes longer to dry, just spread it out and use the hair dryer that's in the cabin.

Author: kristenc

Countries Visited:

Europe, Russia

Traveler Since: 2012

April 03, 2014

These posts are all accurate. Best to do hand laundry yourself, and in that regard, try to bring thinner undies and socks to speed drying. I set up a little laundry day during the voyage in the bathroom sink. Washed, wrung, placed on towel draped chair, changed water and rinsed twice, wrung, squeezed out with towel, then hung on the retractable line in the shower. I wished I had brought thinner socks, but it worked out fine all in all. They replace your towels very generously, so no worries there. The prices for laundry service were per piece and were very high, so I was glad to have brought some Woolite packets.

April 03, 2014

Thanks for the replies!  I was planning on hand washing my undies but jeans can be more difficult.  Anyone remember what the price is for the ship to wash a pair of pants?

Countries Visited:

April 03, 2014

I took dark colors and alternated everything, so that nothing got worn the next day.  And I just hoped for the best.

Author: dgevry

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2010

April 03, 2014

I think the price for a pair of pants was in the $5-7.00 range on our fall trip, but I'm not sure as we didn't use it. We plan on wearing each pair of jeans/pants for two days and can pack 10-11 pairs each in our 25" bags. Just wash the lighter shirts and undies.  Yes, hair dryers are great for clothes drying, especially socks - just put the cuff over the end of the dryer and turn it on. It always good to take a small bottle of "Spray & Wash", "Resolve" or a Tide stick, as spills do happen. Another good idea is to take a universal stopper, just in case the sink does not have one.  This was the case on our second river cruise, and we made do with a wash cloth.  After that we picked up a universal stopper at the local hardware store for $2 or $3 and take it along  - haven't needed it yet. Have a great trip.

April 05, 2014

Thanks, dgevry!  That is what I wanted to know.

Author: elna

GCT Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Russia, Austalia, Finland, Estonia, England, Scotland, Wales, Pakistan, Singapore,

April 15, 2014

I never thought of using the hair dryer -- thanks. I have washed things in the sink and hung out to dry-- either on hangers in the cabin, or on the shower line. We have had jeans and trousers done in the laundry-- didn't seem that expensive. We also take under items to wear and leave behind. Sometimes even summer tee shirts or winter turtle necks that are worn under another shirt/blouse is tossed along the way-- leaves room for all those pretties that we purchase.

Author: avalarue

GCT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2008

April 17, 2014

Our Great Rivers trip on the River Rhapsody was the first time we took advantage of the laundry service. We spent around $50 during the two weeks on board. For me, it was a well deserved luxury as the weather was warmer than expected and our clothes needed more than just a rinse in woolite. We both sent jeans and I think the cost was $6 per jean. If you budget it ahead of time, consider it a gift you give yourself! Usually we left the bag of clothes out in the morning and the clean clothes were back that evening.

April 18, 2014

Thanks to all who replied to my questions.  Very useful information!

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.