Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: kristenc

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2012

March 26, 2014

I would be curious to hear from those solo travelers who have taken a small ship cruise where there is a free single supplement. Were the accommodations to your liking? It appears from the deck plans that there are two single rooms, both on the bottom deck adjacent to the crew area. What was the cabin like? Could you see out? Was there any disturbing noise from the crew or engines? Were solo travelers housed anywhere else on the ship? Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Author: rogerdawhip

Trips Taken: 22
Countries Visited:

OAT trips taken: Egypt, China, Ireland, Guatemala, Thailand, Peru and Adriatic Cruise. Nine GCT river cruises: Great Rivers(3 times), Rhine& Mosel (2 times), Eastern Europe to the Black Sea, Rhone River, Holland & Belgium. Other: Russian river cruise twice.

Traveler Since: 2001

March 26, 2014

I have been on two small ship cruises as a solo.  Each time I've been upgraded to one of the double cabins so I don't know much about the single cabins.  On my trip in January there were 8 singles on the cruise and one was in a single cabin.

March 27, 2014

Thanks, Roger. Great info!

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

March 27, 2014

Kristen, I have not taken any small ship trips but I believe there have been previous posts about the single cabins. You might be able to find these by searching on the ship name or trip name.

Roger, you were very lucky to get an upgrade to a double.

Author: mary jayne halli...

Trips Taken: 27
Traveler Since: 1989

March 27, 2014

Have been on the Rhine, Mosel, Danube river cruises and on those ships, the rooms are ALL THE SAME, just they allow a few for single travlers.  I do notice on the other cruise ships on the bigger water, asbout those two rooms allotted down next to the crew.  I have wondered about those as my daughters were in a double room on one of the other ships, right near the crew and they did say some parties went on (and why not), however that could be as question??

March 27, 2014

It appears to me that free single supplements are offered on the SMALL ship cruises, not the river cruises. It's on these small ships, in particular, that I noticed the two rooms on the lower deck alongside the crew area, designated as single rooms. I wondered if those two rooms were the extent of the free single supplements, but from Roger's reply it appears that sometimes more than two free single supplements are allowed on these smaller cruises. The river cruise I was on, Rhine Mosel, had a single traveler who had paid the supplement. Thanks, all, for your comments. I will search for earlier threads on the topic.  

Author: mary jayne halli...

Trips Taken: 27
Traveler Since: 1989

March 27, 2014

I believe there are very few if any FREE single suppliments on the cruises, only on the land trips  That article in the national magazine was very misleading and think Grand Circle has since called them on it.  It seems like they are just hoping to make more rooms available for those who PAY the SINGLE SUPPLIMENT?

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

March 27, 2014

Kristen, you're right about having to pay a single suplement on the river cruises. The supplements are usually less than most other companies and the size is the same as those used for doubles. I think they are worth the extra charge for what you get. They don't charge a supplement for the river cruise extensions but, like land trips, single availability is limited..

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

March 27, 2014

I've taken two river cruises solo, and there was a supplement.  But it was lower than other companies seem to charge.  One was Russia Revealed in 2010, and those cabins had two twin beds that could be pushed together upon request.  The other was Paris to Normandy last summer, and that had the two convertible beds.  I asked that one be left open so that I could nap if I wanted to.  I don't think those river ships have cabins designed for a single person.

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

March 27, 2014

Not sure the question was answered.  Since the question was about "small ships" I assume "river ships" was not in question.  I could be wrong, but I did not look up river ships.  I went to "Small Ships  & River Cruises" and selected near the bottom left column in blue:  Grand Circle Cruise Line, then selected Small Ships.

Not sure what part of the world you are interested in or if your question is generic for any location/ship.  I looked at each category of ship:

Mediterranean:  Small Ships.  2 single rooms next to crew's quarters w/fixed port hole, less square footage; amenities except balcony is the same as "upstairs" rooms

Panama:  MS Discovery.  mentions     "four twin bed rooms"  does not mention anything about single rooms.  I saw this very small ship while on a different company's tour and cruising the canal on a ferry type ship, last week.  Discovery is really very small, much, much smaller than the Mediterranean small ships (Athena, Arethusa").  Don't know how they get that many rooms on the Discovery.  People were swimming in the canal near their ship and snorkeling.

Antarctic:  does not mention "single" rooms

Burma:  mentions "8 twin deluxe rooms, 6 twin w/balcony rooms, 2 premier w/double beds and 2 single rooms" I think the best is to select the trip you want and look at the deck plan in the catalog or on line for that ship, then talk to Grand Circle.  As for the supplement, I did not look any up because this depends on what GCT has advertised or has maintained as policy and these can change.  Also, I wondered what "twin deluxe" meant:  does it mean two twin beds without balcony, or one twin bed in those cabins.  I think it meant two twin beds no balcony, and the other two twin beds with balcony.  But, I'm not sure of that, either.   As for getting upgraded from single to "upstairs".  I've been on ships where singles are on the same level as the "couple" rooms.  Is that an upgrade, or only rooms available and don't want to sail with empty rooms and lose $$?  We've never been upgraded--always have to pay the supplement to have a balcony room or "better" room, according to the category and location on the ship we want.

March 27, 2014

Thanks, Singsling. I appreciate your research and the previous responses. Plus, I found useful threads on the OAT forum on the topic of solos on ships. I now have a much better idea of how to choose, how to book, and what I could expect to pay. Much better prepared! I know that GCT recently announced their acquisition of the Corinthian ship, used on the Antarctica expeditions. I imagine that there will be a single supplement charge on that ship's new itineraries since the current use of that ship incurs a supplement. Happy sailing!

Author: jl.anderson

Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

OAT/GCT: China, Peru, Ecuador, Ukraine, Russia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda; 35+ more countries

Traveler Since: 2007

March 27, 2014

I can answer the question about the Antarctica single supplement.  I did a pre-reservation for January 2015 and when the dates were announced and GCT contacted me to secure my reservation, they would only offer me a room in a higher "B" category even though rooms were available in the lower "C" and "D" category thus driving my costs up even higher. The rep told me that the "B" category room was designated as a single room although it is identical to rooms for doubles.  In addition to being forced to book a higher category room, the single supplement is $2395.

Judy

Author: rogerdawhip

Trips Taken: 22
Countries Visited:

OAT trips taken: Egypt, China, Ireland, Guatemala, Thailand, Peru and Adriatic Cruise. Nine GCT river cruises: Great Rivers(3 times), Rhine& Mosel (2 times), Eastern Europe to the Black Sea, Rhone River, Holland & Belgium. Other: Russian river cruise twice.

Traveler Since: 2001

March 29, 2014

GCCL only allows 2 free single supplements on it small ships in the Med.  They do charge a supplement if the 2 single cabins are already reserved but you get one of the larger double cabins.  This is how we had 8 singles on a previous trip.

Like I said previously, I was lucky enough to get upgraded to a double  on each of my past small ship cruises. 

I will be on the Arethusa in July for GCCLs Italian Riviera cruise.  I had reserved (and paid for) the cruise with the pre trip to Torino.  GCT called and informed that I was the only person on the pre trip so it was cancelled.  They offered to change my dates by 3 days and have Torino as a post trip.  They would also upgrade me to a double cabin for free.  I readily accepted this offer and now will have free double cabin for the third time.

March 29, 2014

Nice, Roger! I wonder how early a solo traveler has to reserve a trip to get the free supplement room. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.