Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: franks8519

Trips Taken: 0

March 27, 2014

Anyone had experience as or with gay couples on GCT cruises? We're from a tolerant area of the country and have traveled to Europe many times with no issues, but with a small ship of mostly older Americans, we're a little wary. Any thoughts or experiences?

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

March 27, 2014

I can't imagine any problems or questions. There are many apparently unmarried M/F room mates, many F/F room mates and fewer M/M room mates, as there are more female than male travelers. I don't think anyone speculates or cares what the relationships are. at least we don't.  

Author: jl.anderson

Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

OAT/GCT: China, Peru, Ecuador, Ukraine, Russia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda; 35+ more countries

Traveler Since: 2007

March 27, 2014

Not specifically on GCT River Cruises, but last summer we had a gay married couple (young retirees) who had been together over 20 years.  In Zimbabwe the trip leader was concerned about having one bed due to apparently the gay lifestyle is outlawed there.  They were very discrete.  Hands down, this couple was one of the most fun outgoing couples I've ever traveled with!

Judy

Author: sealionlady

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2001

March 27, 2014

We had several gay couples on our "Christmastime on the Seine" cruise last December.  There were no apparent problems and it was very pleasant and relaxed.  I've been on a few land tours with gay couples; they will usually introduce themselves in the format "I'm A and this is my partner B".  

Since the river ships usually carry around 100 passengers you can fairly easily find congenial people to share meals.  

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

March 28, 2014

I wouldn't be concerned about it. There are usually women traveling together and occasionally men. I've taken several trips and never gave it  a thought or heard any comments from others. On one trip there were two men who had been together for several years and talked about their previous trips and places that they'd lived. They were good traveling companions and were popular with all in the group.

Judy, I think you had a slip of the finger and meant to write "discreet," since discrete means separate/unconnected.

Author: tpreminger

Traveler Since: 1999

March 28, 2014

On a GCT cruise through France last November, there was a gay couple and a gay solo on the trip. A coincedence as the couple and solo did not know each other prior.

The fact that they were gay was NOT an issue at any time.  We all mixed and mingled at various meals and events.

Yes, it was obvious that they were gay, but I never heard a disparaging or other remark regarding their sexual orientation.

Author: oldbog

Trips Taken: 6

March 28, 2014

I would not assume that just because they are older that GCT travelers are anti-gay.  At the very least their level of education and worldliness from many travels would seem to mean they would not make an issue of it.

Author: rkauzlarich

Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2009

March 28, 2014

We have shared several GCT/OAT trips with same sex couples--never a problem. They were great traveling companions.  As a previous poster stated, please do not assume that older folks are narrow minded.  The average GCT/OAT traveler is worldly and educated and open to diversity.

Author: jl.anderson

Countries Visited:

OAT/GCT: China, Peru, Ecuador, Ukraine, Russia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda; 35+ more countries

Traveler Since: 2007

March 28, 2014

Oopsie, luisa,

I did mean "discreet".  My editor daughter would have scolded me!

Judy

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

March 30, 2014

It was clear from your post that you meant discreet. Everyone slips up occasionally, even editors. Don't tell her.  

I think I posted something recently where I wrote "effect" when I meant "affect" but can't remember where I did it. Oh, well. 

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

March 30, 2014

I read a lot, and I can't tell you how often that particular mistake jumps out at me.  But we knew what you meant, Judy.

Author: hootie

Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

March 30, 2014

I don't think you need to worry about river boat cruising.  We've taken land tours & several river cruise tours with GC and we have never seen or heard of an issue with same sex partners.  As a matter of fact, we've known same sex partners who were members of the crew...Russia & elsewhere.  Also, some guides, local & otherwise. You really shouldn't have a problem because you are gay.  I know there's always a possiblity of that "one person"  being on your trip (or any where else!) who finds fault with anything & everything...you can spot them right away...just avoid them...like the rest of us do...and ENJOY your trip.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.