Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 1999

Author: sealionlady

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2001

December 09, 2013

Great article!  I'm so glad GCT is pursuing more opportunities for us solos.  One in four GCT travelers is a solo ..... now that's amazing!

Author: merleo

OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 1996

December 10, 2013

Well, this article certainly peaked my interest.  Thanks for the link.  My last GCT land tour had 7 solos not including friends sharing a room.  For 2015 I just added Treasures of the Aegean to my travel planner and maybe this will be added to the GCT additional rooms for solos list by then.  I've always shied away from cruises, just because of the 'poor state-rooms for solos' stories I've read.

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

December 10, 2013

Merleo,

Very few of the GCT river ships have specific single cabns,  What you get as a solo is the saame cabin that the doubles get in that class, to yourself. 

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

December 10, 2013

Yes, and on the Russian river cruises the cabins have twin beds that can be pushed together for a solo traveler to make a wider bed.  The European ships have two beds built in on opposites sides of the cabin.  You can have one bed left as a couch and the other made up as a bed, so that you can lie down comfortably whenever you wish.

December 10, 2013

The article indicates that most of the additional space for singles will be on ships traveling on European rivers. So I wouldn't count on the Treasures of the Aegean trip having more space fro singles.

Author: merleo

OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 1996

December 10, 2013

Janice, I'll keep my fingers crossed.  If the response to the opening up of single rooms is good perhaps GCT will consider other waterways as well as the rivers in Europe,  Anyway nanandpapa it's good to know that cabins aren't assigned so rigidly and now that I think about it room assignments in hotels are probably given out similarly - King or twin beds and not necessarily according to guests' preferences. I've been on some tours where I had a huge king and couples ended up with twins - go figure!  My next trip is to Java-Bali in August where my concerns will be air conditioning and 'western style' toilets but I intend to have a great adventure as a solo traveler nonetheless.

Author: tracytravels

GCT Trips Taken: 0
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2012

January 10, 2014

Thanks for posting this. Just about given up on finding a date for Crusiing Burgundy provence to the Cote d'azur ... hoping more dates open up for this fall. 

Author: luisa

OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

January 12, 2014
I wouldn't count on solos opening on the Aegean cruise either. That is one of the ships that has two designated single, smaller cabins on the lowest level. The ship is designed for 25 passengers, so smaller and fewer cabins than on the European waterways ships. The only hope would be that double cabins were available and GCT would offer them to singles, but it is a popular trip.

Author: tpreminger

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 3

January 12, 2014

I took this trip two years ago and unless they've changed ships, Arethusa, there are TWO groups of 25 and two single cabins.  It wa OAT then.

I have no doubt that GCT has "run the numbers" and knows which cruises have open spaces when. It is those cruises  that will have the 'extra" single slots.

GCT/OAT realized early that there are a lot of solos who want to travel and they have the funds to do so.    They are also extremely loyal as GCT/OAT doesn't treat  solos as if they were rejects from the rest of the population.

I read a Conde Nast article saying other cruise lines were beginning to wake up to the solo market.  

Time will tell.

Author: luisa

OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

January 13, 2014
I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote the ship held only 25 passengers, it is two groups of 25 with two designated single cabins. Other cruise lines are offering solo cabins now; Aegean Odyssey. for example, offers a limited number of cabins with no supplement on some cruises and charges a supplement on others.

Author: jannsegal

Countries Visited:

Been to 71 countries and 40 states so far in over 4 decades of travel.

March 05, 2014

Just for grins I priced out the GCT Russian River cruise...there is a $750 single supplement...

March 05, 2014

I have been looking at the price pages for river cruises in catalogs which have arrived since this announcement was made. I have seen no mention of cabins for singles with no supplement. Has anyone seen evidence that they exist?

Author: jannsegal

Countries Visited:

Been to 71 countries and 40 states so far in over 4 decades of travel.

March 06, 2014

Janice...called GCT today..this change in policy does not eliminate the single supplement...it just  opens up more spaces...

March 06, 2014

Jann, thank you for the update. The USA Today article, which was shared on GCT's FB page, specifically states that there would be no single supplement. I had a feeling it was too good to be true. 

Author: ray.

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2002

March 07, 2014

If I remenber correctly (from what I heard at my last Traveler Celebration Event), GCT will offer no extra single supplement (just like OAT) on their 2015 Land trips when space available, but not on their Cruises.

Author: grandcircle

March 11, 2014

Hello, all.

We followed up with Gene Sloan, cruise editor for USA Today about this. The error in the article was due to a simple misunderstanding, and Gene was kind enough to correct it. The updated article appears at http://www.usatoday.com/...-solo-travelers/3915297/

As jannsegal noted after calling us, this change in policy was to open more space on our ships for singles, because we wanted to create more opportunities for singles to travel without having to request a roommate if they preferred not to. I apologize for any confusion the original article may have caused and for our oversight in not catching this.

Best wishes,

Andrew, Forum Moderator

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.