Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jl.anderson

Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

OAT/GCT: China, Peru, Ecuador, Ukraine, Russia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda; 35+ more countries

Traveler Since: 2007

January 23, 2014

Last night when looking at the forum, the dates of posts clearly stated the actual date of a post i.e. January 23, 2014.  This morning, the posting "dates" say "1 month ago", "2 hours ago", "17 minutes ago".  This is when you go inside a thread and are reading the actual post, not on the listing of the posts.

Seriously, GCT, IS THIS A CHANGE YOU REALLY WANTED OR IS IT ANOTHER MISTAKE ON YOUR WEBSITE?

It's irritating.  If a post was made two years ago, we really will have no idea as to exactly when the post was made.  I'm now going into OAT's website and see if the same thing happened at OAT'S Travel Forum but I'm sure it did.

Judy

Author: garyrr

Trips Taken: 16
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

Traveler Since: 2000

January 23, 2014
I noticed the change also - and I LIKE IT! I THINK IT IS GREAT! Previously, the date/time was listed - and it was GMT time - so you had to "adjust" the time for "recent" posts to understand when they were really posted. Now, you can tell how recently they were posted. So, intentional or not - I think it is great!

Author: suepoor1234

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

All the states except Hawaii; east and west Canada, all of Western Europe(except Iceland and Greenland); the Baltics and Scandanavia; Belarus, Poland, Ukraine; Russia; Turkey, Jordan and Israel; China, Mongolia, and Tibet; Egypt, Morocco, Tanzania; Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatamala, El Salvador; Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Peru, Argentina; Australia and New Zealand; Antarctica.

January 23, 2014

Judy, I agree with you.  Of all the changes made, this is a tweak too far.  "Exactness" of date and time is not at all in evidence after a month goes by.  For instance, "One month ago" -- does that means 12/23/13 or 12/6/13?  And if it says "17 days ago," I have to look at my calendar to see what date that was.  Any post more than 24 hours, reverts to "one day ago" and loses the time anyway.  Subtracting 6 or 7 or 8 hours from GMT was not a problem.    I wonder what pressing need or desire this change answers for the clients?

Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

January 23, 2014
When it's more than a week (or month) ago - what difference does the exact date make anyway? Once you're more than a week out - why does the exact date matter anymore?

Author: musicmajor

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

January 23, 2014

Opinions can differ.  I actually like this change.  Now when I go to the Forum, it will be easy to spot the post that I haven't yet read (because, for instance, the last time I was on the Forum was an hour ago).  This will be especially useful with the threads that get very very long.  

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

January 23, 2014

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your comments. 

As many of you noticed, the old time stamp on the forum was date only and based on Greenwich Mean Time.  At times, that created confusion or questions amongst our users who were logging in across various time zones. With the new website, we have updated to an industry standard time stamp - a "real time" notation.  So, now you can see how new or old a post in real time rather than trying to figure out when exactly something was posted.

We hope this helps.  Should you have further comments or questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to Michelle, the Web Community Manager, at website@gct.com

All the Best,

Annmarie

Forum Moderator

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

January 23, 2014

I think this is a poorly chosen change. Using age of a post becomes especially vague when viewing old posts. There are many "1 year ago" posts which could be anywhere from 1 year to 2 years minus 1 day old. I would much prefer to see the actual date and time of the post. If the website software is incapable of converting the time to the viewer's local time, then simply add the time zone such as GMT. 

Author: patmckinney

Countries Visited:

29 countries

Traveler Since: 2009

January 23, 2014
I really like the change. Much easier to glance at to know where I left off in reading comments.

Author: jl.anderson

Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

OAT/GCT: China, Peru, Ecuador, Ukraine, Russia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda; 35+ more countries

January 23, 2014

Gary,

Several of us who like the original way of just posting the date HAVE in fact listed our reasons, but you seem to have ignored that along with the GCT/OAT Forum moderator.

Now you are challenging us to defend our positions?  I don't think it's your place.  I made one post to state my opinion.  That's it.  I'm not going to argue back and forth about it.

EDIT:

THE ABOVE WAS IN RESPONSE TO A POST GARY MADE WHICH I SEE HAS NOW BEEN DELETED. 

Countries Visited:

January 23, 2014

It makes no difference to me.  I definitely see positives to the new way over the old.  But there's nothing "wrong" with the old way.  I just think the new is better.   But it's not a big deal.

My guess is that it won't be changed back, however.

Author: rosebud

Countries Visited:

Peru, Ecuador, the Amazon, Galapagos Islands, Machu Pichu, Patagonia, Argentina, Costa RIca, Sea of Cortez, Jamaica, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada (Lake Louise, Banff, Jasper, Toronto, Windsor), Spain, England, the Baltics (Tallin, St. Petersburg, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Berlin), Amsterdam, Italy, Greece, Egypt, Israel, Kenya, Namibia, China, New Zealand, Bhutan, Nepal

January 24, 2014

I do not like the change, and it has been made on both GCT and OAT. I do not like it because the indication of, for example, "one year ago" fails to advise of the month, or even the season, of the post. I cannot, therefore, determine whether the post applies to a trip I plan to take. Industry standard or not, the post is less helpful and less specific. 

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

January 24, 2014
I'm not resistant to change, but I preferred the previous method, primarily because of the vagueness of "one year ago" "two years ago." My reason is the same as using this system on the travel reviews; I like to know what month or season the writer is referring to. That could be corrected if the number of months was given instead of years.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

January 24, 2014

Hello Everybody -

Thank you for your comments.  We can see that there are varying opinions on the the time/date change!

This thread has been reviewed by our Web Development Team.  On February 6, 2014, we will have another web release.  We hope to have a suitable solution for everyone by that date.

As always, do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at website@gct.com if you have questions or additional comments.

Kind Regards,
Michelle
Web Community Manager

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

January 24, 2014

I personally like the previous way with the date of the post.  I live 3 times zones away from Boston in the summer and 2 time zones  for EST.  What does the GMT mean to me:  January 24th is January 24th.  I don't need to know if I'm reading this post 8 hours in GMT time or 3 hours later on the West Coast.  

If a post is dated "1 hour ago" I don't what date 1 hour ago is.  For instance, if at one point a year or so ago there was discussion about a certain trip/cruise/or place, but in that time GCT changed the name of the trip, and conditions improved or got worse with a lot of praise or complaints, I won't know if it was 1 hour ago or 1 hour ago 18 months ago.

With GCT changing schedules, or places ot visit, or discussions on what's good or bad about a cerrtain aspect of a trip, but in the meantime things got better or worse, how will we know if the comment is marked 1 hour ago????

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.