Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jjb65

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

Albania, Australia, Austria, , Belgium, Belize, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, England, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Holland, Honduras, Hungary, Italy, Mexico, Montenegro, Panama, Romania, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Turkey, Vietnam, Wales.

Traveler Since: 2008

August 19, 2013

I have several pages in my passport with 3 or 4 stamps.  In some countries they seem to want only their stamp on a separate page.  Is there a rule or regulation concerning placement of stamps?  Just curious. 

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

August 19, 2013

Each country has its own requirements, some require a complete blank page, others may require front and back or facing pages. Read the GCT Travel Handbook and the US State Department Travel site. The last thing that you need is to be denied the visa or entry. When you get a new passport, get the version with extra pages.

Author: svncontinents

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2007

January 15, 2014

The placement of a stamp by an immigration official is, for the most part, left to the discretion of the individual immigration officer.  Having done some travel with OAT, which goes to more exotic places than Grand Circle, we generally have to get a visa from those countries, which takes up additional pages, in addition to the immigration stamps when we actually enter and leave the country.  This results in a full passport in short order.

We try to maximize the space on our visa pages, by requesting that immigration officials use a page of our choice.  We usually do that by placeing some kind of a bookmark by the desired page.  We have never encountered an official that doesn't honor our request.  As each country has a stamp of a different size, we find that there are some countries where we can only accommodate 4 stamps, while others can accommodate six.  Hope this suggestion helps.  But remember:  Only the pages marked "visas" may be used for immigration; the pages marked "endorsements" may not be used for visa stamps.  

Author: forgerr

Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

Antartcia-China-Italy-Australia-New Zealand-Fiji-etc

Traveler Since: 2008

January 15, 2014
NANAANDPAPA: I sent my passport in a few months ago and requested the extra pages. They had told me on the phone that it was there call to determine if the expanded book would be made. Mine had been expanded a year earlier, when the new passport was returned, just the regular book with the standard amount of pages. I guess there looking for the extra $ if you need to add pages.

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

January 15, 2014

Last year we called the Passport office and asked how to get additional pages or a new passport.  I told them we were told with the number of countries we were going to visit a new passport would be best and would we be able to get a new passport.  I based my questions on comments I read on this Forum.  The Passport Office told me it was their discretion, but we had 4 more years left and we could not get a new passport, but they would be glad to add pages.  The price for the new pages was a lot less than a new passport would have been, so, I'm not sure $$ is an issue.

Author: svncontinents

Traveler Since: 2007

January 16, 2014

If you look carefully at the application for extra pages, you will not the caveat that it may not be possible to add extra pages to your passport.  If you already have the larger passport, you will NOT be able to add additional pages, and the passport agency will decline a request for additional pages.  The only option left to you is a new passport.  Under those circumstances, the passport agency will issue a new passport regardless of the number of years you have remaining.  You will, however, have to write an explanation for the request, since you passport is not near its expiration date.  Simply telling them that you will require additional pages above what remains because of future travel, and  which cannot be added to this passport, because it's already at the maximum size, will usually suffice, to have a new passport issued.  But don't forget to request the large passport.   

Author: merleo

Traveler Since: 1996

January 16, 2014

In 2012, I had extra pages added to my passport when I applied for visas to Nepal and India and had PVS take care of it for me.  I signed an authorization form so they could act as my agent in applying for the extra pages as I was down to 1-1/2 blank visa pages but still had 4 years to expiration. Thanks to this forum I'm glad to know that I can apply for a large passport upon renewal.

Author: porkchop55

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

Great Britain, Israel, Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Tunisia, China, Peru, Canada, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Fiji, American Samoa, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea

Traveler Since: 2004

January 17, 2014

When you get a new passport there is not charge for getting extra pages, so be sure you request them then.  It makes the passport thicker and a little less convent to carry around, but saves time an $$ in the long run. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.