Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: dmarq

Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2008

January 26, 2013

Hoping previous travelers can share personal insights to help us decide.   We are torn about both optionals on Cruising the Adriatic.  I'm sure they are good options, but the towns we'll be giving up extra time in sound charming as well.  Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and opinions!

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

January 03, 2014

I just spent a half hour writing reply but GT Forum is so messed up it does not accept every  letter I type.

Are you talking about Hidden Gems of Dalmatian Coast or Dubrovnik & Beyond: From the Adriatic to the Alps (2014) Can't speak to optionals unless I know.

About credit cards.  I never could understand USAA--different rules for different military personnel.  Our beef is with who can be a member and nothing about our credibility.  But, to suggest:

We have used Navy Federal Credit Union, navyfederal.org   credit cards for over 20 years. For $5.00 you can  join and request "goRewards" cards, Visa and MasterCard. No Int'l transaction fees but if used as ATM card there is a fee.

We did not have any problems in Albania, Montenegro, or  Croatia (several cities).  for countries not using Euros we used Bank ATM card to withdraw from checking (we put $2000 in checking and had money left over).

You only have few weeks, so you can join on line, but I usually make phone calls 24/7 and maybe have cars express shipped to your address and receive before yu depart on trip.

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

January 04, 2014
If your interest is in the use of credit cards, I think you'll get more responses if you start a thread asking about problems using credit cards in the Adriatic.

Author: luvtravelin

Trips Taken: 21
Traveler Since: 2001

January 04, 2014
You are right, but post isn't necessary any longer. Thanks

Author: esther

Trips Taken: 14
Traveler Since: 2009

January 04, 2014
I was in Croatia three years ago, with another company and visited many of the places on the GCT itinerary.   

re: Dubrovnik - You will receive a nice overview of Dubrovnik on Day 3 of your trip.    This is  beautiful walking city and the walk on the medieval walls (takes about 2 -3 hours) is magnificent and not-to-be-missed.   

If you don’t mind giving up a day on your own in Dubrovnik -- these are my thoughts on the optionals:

Montenegro: this is a beautiful drive along the coast and much of the interior of Montenegro is hilly.   There is a walled city which is a  smaller version of Dubrovnik with the same kind of architecture, shops, cafes and restaurants.   There are lots of vendors at the car and bus parks selling embroidered tablecloths. 

Mostar: is a UNESCO site and I felt it was much more historically and architecturally interesting than Montenegro. If you go, wear shoes with very thick soles as the cobbelstones are hard on the feet!

If I could do only one of the day trips from Dubrovnik, it would be Mostar.

Istran Peninsula with Rovinj and Pula:   Rovinj is  a nice city by the water. But you will enjoy visiting Pula if you like Roman ruins.  I think it is 6 of one; half-dozen of the other on taking this day trip

Taste of Medieval Slovenia tour:  one of the most pleasant things to do at Lake Bled on a warm, sunny day is to walk around the lake. There is a paved walkway all the way around and it is about 3 1/2 miles.  There are numerous small restaurants  and you can also stop at Marshal Tito’s former summer home (now small, posh hotel - go upstairs to see the murals in the dining room) for coffee or tea.    You can take a 5 min. boat ride to the church in the middle of the Lake, as well as visit the Castle overlooking the lake.    I would stay and enjoy the lake unless you are particularly interested in the architecture offered on the optional tour.   

About the Valomar Lacrona Hotel  in Dubrovnik-- not all rooms have a sea view which is a shame.   I did two trips in Croatia back-to-back and the second trip stayed at this hotel.  It is a long walk or a bus (stops in front of the hotel) or taxi-ride to the walled city  I upgraded to a sea-view room and, as I recall it was about 20 euro extra a night.  The room was exactly the same size and decor as my original room overlooking the parking lot, but I really enjoyed sitting on the large balcony watching  ships come in to port and the sunsets.  Let them show you a few rooms. The higher up the better. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.