We suggest that GCT/OAT send out an email to travellers that have booked a trip, when the detailed itinerary has changed, like some airlines do for flight changes.
On our last trips GCT has made itinerary changes after we had booked, that we only detected by comparing the latest web itinerary with the itinerary when we had booked.
On our Amalfi pre-trip to Sicily in Apr/May 2013, GCT replaced the Pompeii/Naples Museum (a must-see for us) optional with Capri.
Now, on our Sept/Oct 2013 Rhine/Mosel boat trip, GCT's changed its online itinerary from when we booked in Feb 2013:
- Day 5 Liberation Museum optional is not available, if we do not dock at Nijmegen, but Nijmegen city tour is available with extra time there.
- Day 6 Augustusburg optional is not availble Mon & is replaced with Bridge of Remagen Museum, but with no description or price available online or from GCT's call center.
- Day 9 "EU" discussion is back after being replaced with "Switzerland Today", which now replaces "Switzerland & Its Traditions" on Day 15 PM, just before the Lucerne post-trip.
- Day 10 Traben-Trarback Mosel port replaced by Zell with no explanation online, but call center said is due to dock damage.
- Day 13 Alsatian optional now PM, moved from Day 14 AM, replaces Baden-Baden, which is moved to Day 14 AM.
We understand that GCT can change the itinerary after we have booked due to river/port conditions, etc., but would appreciate as much advance notice as possible, including detailed descriptions of new activities, optional prices, etc., so that we can decide how to spend our free time, reschedule our other planned activities like visits with friends or to other sites, whether to take a new optional, or worst case reschedule or cancel the trip and/or extension.
So please respond or make other suggestions, if you think that GCT/OAT should email itinerary changes to its already booked customers. We do not want to be surprised by changes in the final itinerary 2 weeks before departure or worst case in the PD/TL's briefing.
We appeciate GCT/OAT updating its online itineraries, but please give us an email heads-up, so that we don't have to keep cross checking for changes to our booked trips.